take them check valves off your gas caps....

5 replies to this topic
  • fred

Posted November 30, 2000 - 03:17 PM

since I've taking mine off, no more fouled plugs...
yes it's true
No more fouled plugs...

• olson_jr

Posted November 30, 2000 - 03:47 PM

I took mine off when I thought it was causing missfiring after a 15 minute rest stop. It didn't seem to change the problem.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted November 30, 2000 - 04:49 PM

Fred, I've been running a check value for some time and I've never fouled a plug. However; I've never messed with the stock jetting either. Personally, I think this is the problem for most novice mechanics. Leave the jetting to the experts IMHO. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RayG

Posted November 30, 2000 - 05:13 PM

Ok! Here is my theory on fouling plugs. My best friend and I picked our 98 WR's up on the same day. Once we learned how to start the damn things it was great (However that was a learning experience!) We ride everywhere together including riding around 12800 ft. and as low as 4000 ft in Moab. My friend still has the orginal plug in his thing. It is bone stock, including jetting from out local shop. Mine is also stock but, I was always fouling plugs. I was able to put a new plug in the darn thing in less than 3 minutes! Ok! Now to my theory. I think it just depends on how you ride. I have a much more aggressive riding style than my friend. I give it hell than I slow down quickly. Than again maybe I'm just full of %?@#?#! I recently had mine in the shop to find that I had a bad pump! No more fouling plugs! (As of a couple rides!!) One thing is for sure! I love the thumper and I would't own another dirt bike to save my life.....Well maybe a 01 WR426!! If I could only talk my wife into it....

enough rambling....Ride Hard! Ride Safe....

RayG

• Boit

Posted December 01, 2000 - 03:13 AM

Bad pump? Accelerator pump? I'm very curious.

• RayG

Posted December 01, 2000 - 04:44 AM

Yes, It was the accelerator pump.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.