Mud flap on XR - trash it?

7 replies to this topic
  • spotsboss

Posted July 03, 2007 - 06:34 AM

I just put a fresh D606 on the back and when the tire flexes it rubs on the plastic flap in front of the tire. Do you guys just pitch this part? I can see the value in protecting the shock from rocks/mud, but I dont like the tire scuffing on it...tires wear too fast as it is.

Any alternative solutions out there?

:thumbsup:

• DGXR

Posted July 03, 2007 - 07:35 AM

Depending on where your chain adjusters are set now, you could put a couple extra links in the chain to move the wheel back a little and get more clearance. Some people might say an extra master link will increase the possibility of chain problems but I think it would be fine. Or you could just ride it with the rub and you'll get some clearance after some tire wear so it won't rub (as much). But there should be a minimal amount of clearance between the tire and the swingarm (1/2 inch or so?), so that if the tire picks up a rock, it won't gouge the swingarm or the tire. Hope this helps, good luck and have fun. :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted July 03, 2007 - 08:49 AM

you may but all the mud dirt rocks slinging forward onto the shock may not be good.

• FZ1426

Posted July 03, 2007 - 10:29 AM

That's not going to wear your tire. But taking it off will surely beat up a pretty expensive shock. Get a black one so you won't see the tire marks.

I found it tends to blow back at high speed and hit the tire regardless of how far back the wheel is. I wouldn't specifically change wheelbase and/or gearing for it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 03, 2007 - 10:36 AM

I just put a fresh D606 on the back and when the tire flexes it rubs on the plastic flap in front of the tire. Do you guys just pitch this part? I can see the value in protecting the shock from rocks/mud, but I dont like the tire scuffing on it...tires wear too fast as it is.

Any alternative solutions out there?

:thumbsup:

Mine has gotten pretty thrashed from larger tires. I have removed it on my last two bikes and covered the back half of the shock springs with an inner tube cut in half. My original worry was that it would trap heat, but I have not noticed any problem with that and the shock is well protected top to bottom. You can also buy those shock socks for the same purpose, but I don't think those let much air to the shock.

• Billahjack

Posted July 04, 2007 - 06:59 AM

I would not take it off. In fact I just bought a new one from Service honda this week. You definitely do not want to sandblast your swing arm, shock, and shock linkage with rocks, sand, gravel and other trash. That starts to look nasty and cost you money when you damage your components.

I'm going to try and zip tie the new one forward, away from the tire. I'm running Maxxis IT 120/100 tires which are huge.

• needsprayer

Posted July 04, 2007 - 09:48 AM

I moved the mud flap forward and put on a shock sox.

Posted Image

While I am at it might as well show off my street tires and Vapor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• tggray01

Posted July 04, 2007 - 12:15 PM

you like that Vapor? Did it cost you like 160 for all (bracket and head unit?) Were you able to link up the temp gauge option for the vapor?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.