> Hi guys,
>
> My brother just purchased a '00 WR400 in the middle of the summer. He has
> had really good luck with his new toy. However, last weekend he went to
go
> for a ride but was unable to shift past first gear. The bike starts fine
> and has not been abused.
>
> Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kevin Skidmore
kskidmore@pinnaclesys.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted October 17, 2000 - 04:46 AM

Kevin: Can he get the transmission into neutral? He might try rocking the bike back and forth while gently pulling up on the shifter(engine not running) and see if it can be coaxed into the higher gears. I'm wondering if there is a bent shift fork or shaft. Do you know if he shifts down into first gear while still moving at a high speed? You certainly don't want to be in high gear wide open and then start slamming down thru the gears. Shifters don't need to be slammed hard with the boot, just a sturdy stab is enough. I've never had trouble with transmissions on any of my machines so this is a new one on me.

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted October 18, 2000 - 05:02 AM

Kevin,
My bike (00WR) had the same problem. It most likely is a broken pin within the shifter assembly. This is an intermittent problem with that bike. Mine was fixed under warranty by the dealer. Since this is a manufacturing defect your brothers bike should be repaired for free. Your local dealer may not have experienced this problem before, but I guarantee the factory knows all about it. Good luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.