what involved with legalizing a dirtbike?

3 replies to this topic
  • deputyperk

Posted July 03, 2007 - 04:38 AM

besides getting the proper tires, and the baja design kit i know theres alot to deal with at the mva. i heard of a local who had a few grand tied up into his xr400 trying to get it done even with his baja kit.

i would love to motard a xr600 but i am afraid i wont be able to get it legalized, i thought i could install the kit, get it inspected then go to the mva and get the titled transfered over to a street legal title, am i wrong, i live in maryland BTW and no one at the mva could really help me out!

anyone who has ever done it what did your stat make you do? why is it so hard?

• cleonard

Posted July 03, 2007 - 09:56 AM

You need to find out the requirements for your state. Perhpas try the dual sport forum if you don't get an answer here. It can vary from easy to impossible. The number of states in the easy category shrinks every year.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • axle8

Posted July 03, 2007 - 11:09 AM

deputyperk, you may want to go to the nearest state police barracks and ask the cops. If they can't help you go to an inspection station, the one you will be getting to inspected the bike when it is ready and see what they will be looking for. Good luck.

• KShow

Posted July 03, 2007 - 04:54 PM

If you dont already own the bike, look around for one that is already tagged. You'll save yourself alot of hassle. Its much easier to transfer an already tagged bike than it is to tag one from scratch. Either way, when dealing with the DMV and such,, BE VERY NICE to them. It will help alot.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.