Intermittent stutter

17 replies to this topic
  • Snakko88

Posted July 03, 2007 - 03:27 AM

Ive got an intermittent stutter at about half throttle on an 03'WR450.
Can be riding along fine then it sometimes cuts in.
Sometimes stops if I stop the motor and re start.
Jetting seems to be spot on as it runs like a dream and pulls off the bottom and up top even when the stutter kicks in, seem electrical to me.

Thought it must have been dirt in the carb that works its way up after a few minutes then drops down when the motor is stopped.Cleaned the carb, checked the tank vent hose and cleaned the fuel tank out.
Tried disconnecting the TPS no good. dropped the needle jet just to see if is on the verge of rich, no difference.

Just dropped it off tonight to get it Dyno'd to check the jetting for sure.
The only thing ive changed since the problem started is the wire loom back to the standard for a bit of Motard work on the road.
Don't know if anyone has had a similar problem, have done several searches.??????
Steve................................. :thumbsup:

• SID013

Posted July 03, 2007 - 04:43 PM

I believe most WR's have this issue which can be traced to the TPS sensor. Apparently they can come from the factory with incorrect settings. Mine is an '06 which gets this stutter. I haven't got around to checking the voltage output yet on it but it may be a start for you. Have you got a manual as the procedure & settings are in there.

Cheers

• Mutu

Posted July 03, 2007 - 06:29 PM

I just brought a multimeter yesterday actually to check TPS.

Snakko88 - have you dropped the needle (leaner) one clip? Sounds like rich to me.

• Snakko88

Posted July 04, 2007 - 12:36 AM

Hi Mutu,
Yes I have played with the TPS, full on full off and set it right in the middle range as stated in the manual re the voltage spec.
It does do the steady throttle TPS blip thing that most people talk of but is very small and not even noticed. My stutter is much worse, a bit like the rev limiter cutting in. Dropped the needle jet too, no difference......

• Mutu

Posted July 04, 2007 - 02:11 AM

What needle and pos. are you?

• Snakko88

Posted July 04, 2007 - 02:19 AM

pos 3, one notch leaner than std.160 main #48 & #65
Where you from Mutu???

• Mutu

Posted July 04, 2007 - 02:25 AM

Was from Gove NT, but now Hopetoun WA.

What muffler you got? Stock?

Try a 168 main with your combo. 160 seems way too lean to me. Might be your problem. Have you got adjustable fuel screw?

• Snakko88

Posted July 04, 2007 - 02:35 AM

Got a CDR pipe not restricted at all, tried a 170 jet no diff. I once put too much oil on the air filter an it did a similar thing which made me think it was rich but the problem comes and goes like an electrical problem!!!!!

• Snakko88

Posted July 04, 2007 - 02:42 AM

Std fuel screw,dyno tune tomorrow nite so that will at least sort the jetting out and give a HP figure....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted July 04, 2007 - 02:51 AM

well, we will just have to wait and see!

• gregwr450f

Posted July 04, 2007 - 04:27 AM

if you have the keyed ignition, that's the problem they all stuff up.
Wack on the spare one you got when you bought it and I bet it fixes it.

• markturbo

Posted July 04, 2007 - 08:13 AM

if you have the keyed ignition, that's the problem they all stuff up.
Wack on the spare one you got when you bought it and I bet it fixes it.

If it was the ignition wouldn't it be all the time, or at least at any throttle position? He seems to be getting it at half throttle...just like I am.:thumbsup:

• Snakko88

Posted July 04, 2007 - 12:55 PM

No keyed ignition Greg, just the push button one...................

• gregwr450f

Posted July 05, 2007 - 12:51 AM

If it was the ignition wouldn't it be all the time, or at least at any throttle position? He seems to be getting it at half throttle...just like I am.:thumbsup:

nope, it is all over the place.

• gregwr450f

Posted July 05, 2007 - 12:52 AM

Have you checked your wiring is not being crushed on the steering stops?

• Snakko88

Posted September 30, 2007 - 06:23 PM

Finally found the problem after weeks of pulling the carb off, Dyno runs, checking the flywheel, un plugging the neutral switch and even bought a Vortex CDI.
After installing the CDI went for a test run and noticed sparks coming from the aluminum flasher unit that works the indicators.
The flasher unit was slightly crushed from a get off a while ago. It was earthing out on the fork leg causing a drop in voltage and causing all sorts of intermittent problems.
I think the Vortex being a bit more powerful lit up the problem.
Fingers crossed........

• regie308

Posted October 02, 2007 - 03:17 PM

I think its the flux capacitor................. speaking of putting things on the dyno......hows ya mum?

• Snakko88

Posted October 02, 2007 - 11:29 PM

They will let anyone join this site!!! Nice one Hank......
Oh, nearly forgot, your mum says hi back at ya.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.