Ims 4.0 Tank Graphics - Suggestions

17 replies to this topic
  • walshdanielm1965

Posted July 02, 2007 - 09:29 PM

I just finished installing the IMS gas tank (white) and while it looks great on the bike, it does look kind of bare. I was wondering if anyone had any success in finding and keeping attached any tank graphics...ie: Factory Effex, XRs Only, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

• rmhrc630

Posted July 02, 2007 - 09:37 PM

I just finished installing the IMS gas tank (white) and while it looks great on the bike, it does look kind of bare. I was wondering if anyone had any success in finding and keeping attached any tank graphics...ie: Factory Effex, XRs Only, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Mate I realise you are new but you must please specifiy the model of your bike.

These forums are in dire need of splitment!!!

You might have a XR600R, XR650L or XR650R.

Can you see the reason for being specific?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 02, 2007 - 10:04 PM

Mate I realise you are new but you must please specifiy the model of your bike.

These forums are in dire need of splitment!!!

You might have a XR600R, XR650L or XR650R.

Can you see the reason for being specific?

Probably does not matter. The IMS 4.0 is for both the 600R and the 650L so the graphics would be the same. A 4.0 IMS for the 650R does not exist. Daniel, there are two very large posts on this forum and Advrider that will show you probably most of the versions out there to compare. Do a search on both for "650L Pics" or "Show 650L". I have seen both XR's Only and IMS graphis that are very sharp looking.

• walshdanielm1965

Posted July 03, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Sorry, I have an XR650L. I have found several sticker kits. just wondering how to keep them on the plastic.

• Motosprtman

Posted July 03, 2007 - 05:55 AM

Yes you can buy my brand new IMS tank with XR's graphics on it complete with new petcock. Just not gonna use it, going back to stock. Make me an offer I can't refuse....

• Motosprtman

Posted July 03, 2007 - 05:58 AM

Sorry, I have an XR650L. I have found several sticker kits. just wondering how to keep them on the plastic.

prior to appplying the graphic decal - clean the tank with isopropyl alcohol then peel off the laminate cover off the decal sheet and carefully - yet quickly apply the decal, smooth out bubbles if any, with a flat non metallic blade or wiper. I did this on my RED IMS tank with XR's only decals and it looks factory perfect.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted July 03, 2007 - 08:11 PM

I would run it through 2-4 tanks of gas first before applying the decal in order for the chemicals to dissipate through the plastic. This should prevent the decal from bubbling prematurely. My 2 cents.

• exaresix

Posted July 04, 2007 - 01:18 AM

I have had problems getting Factory Effex tank decals to remain adherant to the tank no matter whether the tank was new or old. I've pre-cleaned the surface with acetone, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, alcohol. None of it made a difference. They always started peeling off.

• gtr-fxr

Posted July 04, 2007 - 04:19 AM

Yes you can buy my brand new IMS tank with XR's graphics on it complete with new petcock. Just not gonna use it, going back to stock. Make me an offer I can't refuse....

Hey MOTOSPRTMAN...I sent you a PM on the tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jon-D

Posted July 04, 2007 - 06:13 AM

Gas tends to evaporate through the plastic which causes the decal to peal off. Most tank graphics have slots every 0.5" or so to allow the vapors through. If your set of graphics don’t have these, you can cut them in yourself.

• walshdanielm1965

Posted July 25, 2007 - 07:31 PM

I just finished applying my XR's only graphics. I cut them down to show more of the white tank. They come with 1/8” holes every 1/2". I ran a couple of tanks thru, I then followed the provided instructions. Looks great!

http://i101.photobuc...65/HPIM0998.jpg

http://i101.photobuc...65/HPIM1000.jpg

http://i101.photobuc...65/HPIM0999.jpg

• rmhrc630

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:17 PM

Looks great!!!

• Livermore

Posted July 26, 2007 - 02:25 PM

Let us know if it stays on...I gave up trying to keep mine graphics on the 4 gal IMS....Now I love the look of a naked tank...Natural color easy to see the gas!

• bosshog

Posted July 26, 2007 - 02:38 PM

I've also never had amy luck keeping decals stuck to my clarke tank. So anyone have the tank graphics with the holes in them on their bike long enough to verify they'll stay? How are they a year later?

Bosshog

• lhark

Posted July 26, 2007 - 04:51 PM

I've had good luck with Factory Effex graphics on a black IMS tank. I didn't do anything special beyond trimming the red away that I didn't want to show. There's some bubbling on the right side, where the morning sun hits it for a few hours, where I part it at work. This is going on the second summer of riding with the black parts.

• TommieZZ

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:36 PM

What size & color? Fits what? I'm looking to buy.....thanks

• CTXr650L

Posted July 27, 2007 - 03:22 AM

i have factoryeffex graphics on my ims tank and they seem to be holding up great after the first year. they were even removerd and re-stuck after being on for the first month (didnt like how i positioned them) and still are sticinkg as good as day 1. some pics in my garage, didnt come out too good but you can get the idea.

• asf

Posted August 13, 2007 - 08:50 AM

The XR's only graphics stick better than my current factory FX kit.

I have my oversized graphics for sale on ebay . Nothing worng with them, just went with something new. http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.