Need Help, Metal Filings In Oil Xr650r

9 replies to this topic
  • MIxr650r

Posted July 02, 2007 - 09:01 PM

Long story, short version. Bought a 2002 XR650R (bone stock) from a police auction. The bike's V.I.N. and engine number is ground off and the police auctioned it because there is no way to find the owner. This was obviously stolen from a dealership. It is brand new, still has the paint check marks on all of the main bolts and no grim at all anywhere on the bike. Just some minor lay down damage to the plastics from who ever stole it. I'm pretty sure it's a 2002 by the federal emmissions sticker on the topside rear fender, but not 100% sure.

Anyways, I just changed the oil and found some metal filings in the pan. There is also a blue piece of plastic that is the same shape and size of the other filings. I'm not sure if this could be trouble or just from the break in. I have a 2003 XR650R that I bought new and didnt have anything in the oil, but I wasnt looking either. Just wondered what you guys thought. Maybe the notorious 2002 bushing thing needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm going to try and post a pic of the filings.

sorry cant figure out how to do it, send me a message and i can send u the pic.

thanks again

• porterdog

Posted July 03, 2007 - 05:56 AM

Could be two different things:

1. Normal break-in (relatively fine, steel and aluminum colored)
2. poor rod clearances lunching your bearings. (brass/bronze colored)

Honestly, either way you should run it for a bit to see what goes on; change the oil/filter xtra often for a bit and make sure you clean the downtube screen as well.

Luck!

• Billahjack

Posted July 03, 2007 - 06:10 AM

Get a magnetic drainplug too.

• MIxr650r

Posted July 04, 2007 - 05:17 AM

Thanks very much!!

• doublediesel

Posted July 04, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Worn connecting rod end...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted July 04, 2007 - 04:06 PM

Worn connecting rod end...

We obviously don't know for sure how much the bike was used, but that would be a slim-none chance for it, with the reliability these bikes have enjoyed.....start simple......

• Moredesert

Posted July 06, 2007 - 12:09 PM

I've seem metal flakes in my oil on a DRZ400 that I desert raced. I had used the clutch to the point it started to slip from the heat. In time I had to replace the clutch and basket because it would chatter even with new plates. If the BRP was stollen and ridden like a two stroke I can see where you would have metal shavings from the clutch in the oil. On the other hand my BRP has 18k miles on the clutch and I finally replaced it. The clutch basket was so worm out I had to replace the whole thing, but it didn't slip. I just felt it was time to replace it before it goes out when I'm 300 miles south of the border. For the most part the 650R is bullet proof and can take a good licking. I would just keep good oil in it and change it all the time.

• doublediesel

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:21 PM

I was sharing my experience......

• doublediesel

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:24 PM

We obviously don't know for sure how much the bike was used, but that would be a slim-none chance for it, with the reliability these bikes have enjoyed.....start simple......

Thought I'd share my experience.. and it's more common than one would think.:thumbsup:

• MIxr650r

Posted July 09, 2007 - 05:51 PM

thanks again guys. going to ride it and keep an eye on the oil. i'll change it regularly. we dont ride em' too hard, just trail riding on 2 tracks and stuff.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.