02 WR426F - Vapor Power/Tach Issue

7 replies to this topic
  • AdamBran

Posted July 02, 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi all,

I installed a Vapor to my 426 using the Tach on the LV (primary) side of the coil and sourcing power (ac) via the lighting cct. Used the resistor lead and it was more stable.

Problem I have is that when power is turned on the tach is corrupted and readings are way out. Power down and the tach appears correct. Using a totaly isolated power source as the supply works ok.

It appears to be a noise issue. I tried a bridge rectifier and a "crow bar" filter cap (1000uf 40v) on the supply line but that didnt help.

Has anyone had this issue or a solution to be able to power up.

Thanks Adam

• 04WR450man

Posted July 03, 2007 - 08:11 AM

I just wired mine to the the yamaha speedo power wire (the one that powered the light on the speedo) worked a treat ! not sure if your model came with a speedo but if it did then give it a go :thumbsup:

• rogo

Posted July 04, 2007 - 04:01 AM

i installed the Vapor on my WR400 about 6 months ago. i wired it into the positive line going to the headlight. it was all working perfectly for a while, but then the tacho started giving out crazy readings, like 17000RPM etc. I contacted Trail tech and they eventually sent out a new head unit. that fixed the issue for a while but then the same problem started i think it is related to the back up battery as that is also dead (suppost to last a year). So next week i am going to attach a 12volt recarchable battery to the circuit to assist the stock back up battery and see if that helps.

I don't know if this helps, but at least you know your not alone.

Dan

• AdamBran

Posted July 04, 2007 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did the same - Tacho wired to the LV side of the coil was no good and the noise from the ac lighting supply was corrupting the tach with similar readings to yours 17k + - I changed the tacho wire over to the HV wrap method and it appears to be working but a little less responsive. Trail Tech are yet to reply with a filter solution or something! Thanks again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted July 05, 2007 - 04:00 PM

i installed the Vapor on my WR400 about 6 months ago. i wired it into the positive line going to the headlight. it was all working perfectly for a while, but then the tacho started giving out crazy readings, like 17000RPM etc. I contacted Trail tech and they eventually sent out a new head unit. that fixed the issue for a while but then the same problem started i think it is related to the back up battery as that is also dead (suppost to last a year). So next week i am going to attach a 12volt recarchable battery to the circuit to assist the stock back up battery and see if that helps.

I don't know if this helps, but at least you know your not alone.

Dan

My Vapor tach produces the same very high readings. Doesn't happen all the time. My power line is connect to straight 12VDC off the dual sport kit. I did leave the stock little battery in
Trailtech didn't have an answer for this problem a couple months ago. Maybe I'll try again.

• AdamBran

Posted July 07, 2007 - 11:48 PM

Trailtech just emailed back to say that they have a "low Voltage" head that will fix the problem, however it wont be available for at least a month or two?? Had the bike away on the weekend using the High Voltage "wire wrap" solution and other than slow / less response from the Tacho the Vapor worked a treat. Knowing temp on the 426 is comforting. Also may help identifying rich / lean mixtures at various speeds!

Adam

• rogo

Posted July 25, 2007 - 04:02 AM

sorry guys i'm not following you completely regarding the High voltage "Wire wrap". What is it? Has that fixed the problem

• jbrooks26

Posted July 25, 2007 - 04:41 AM

I too have seen the occasional "pinned tack" but it has usually been after washing. I just attributed it to getting water somewhere it shouldn't have been.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.