Attn you M.E.'s

6 replies to this topic
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted October 15, 2000 - 07:47 AM

What is the ambient pressure in absolute at 5k feet? Consult your Molier diagram, your steam table, your Carnot Engine or your Magic 8 Ball. I was curious since I did not vent off my fork legs in Moab (that had been vented off at sea level). I want a good reason why my hands were getting beat to death in Moab.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 15, 2000 - 08:07 AM

For some reason I noticed the fork thing more when we got back down to sea level,you mean your supposed to bleed your forks?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 15, 2000 - 08:25 AM

I think the 4000ft at Moab is irrelevant unless the cargo compartment of that plane your bike took a ride on was pressurized the pressure drop from sea level to 30,000 feet might be significant enough for u to notice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kermit

Posted October 15, 2000 - 02:31 PM

Yes Howard, you are supposed to bleed 'em. It's the screw right beside the dampening screw on top of the fork. If you don't bleed them it makes the fork harsh.

• Eric_in_WA

Posted October 15, 2000 - 03:37 PM

Kevin,

According to the Pratt and Whitney Aeronautical Vestpocket Handbook: Sea Level absolute atmospheric pressure is 14.70 psia. At 4000 ft it is 12.69 psia.

In simple terms: forks sealed up at Sea Level and taken to 4000 ft would be like forks pressurized at about 2 psi gage at 4000 ft.

Eric in WA

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted October 15, 2000 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Eric for the info.

I still need to drain my forks completely and put the min level oil in. Just putzing around my yard today, my forks feel too stiff off the top. It doesn't help that my right wrist is still trashed!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 15, 2000 - 07:09 PM

I'f bleed'in the forks will make me a faster rider I'll DO IT, thanks :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.