Tyre width

3 replies to this topic
  • Darren_Santilli

Posted October 14, 2000 - 06:16 AM

Was wondering what size tyres you guys are running.

Ive just had a bridgestone ED660 fitted in a 120x90x18 size and it looks a bit on the narrow side. The tyre that came on the bike from new was a "mitchelin comp enduro" and was a 130x90x18 size.
Should I have opted for a 140 Bridgestone?
What are the ups and downs of going wider or narrower?

Taffy.- I'd be interested to know what tyre you are running as your bike must have come with the same tyre as mine.

PS
the 120x90x18 ED660 is the bridgestone recommended fitment for a WR400

Thanks in advance
Darren

'00 WR (uk spec) blah blah

[This message has been edited by Darren Santilli (edited 10-14-2000).]

• Taffy

Posted October 15, 2000 - 12:15 AM

Darren

i'm running a michelin 130/80 x 18. it was onspecial offer from Off Road Only 'ORO' for just £35. it's a winter tyre. good value too.

my friend supplies me with Maxxis tyres at trade price & i'm not too happy with the front but the 120 rears are very good.

all the enduro boys (UK) are running 130's if that's any help.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 15, 2000 - 07:54 AM

Randy Hawkins runs a 100/100/18 basically a 125cc tire on his 426 says he likes to slide the back around a bit and that the smaller tire helps. Not that I agree I run a 120 no need to go wider althogh pontiac seems to think wider is better :)

• Matt_Porritt

Posted October 15, 2000 - 11:49 AM

Basically a wider tyre will give a bit more traction but they tend to make the bike stand up straight when coming out of a corner.

You don't really notice it until you run a 100 or 110 and the the bike just won't come upright after corners! :)

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.