You guys wrecked my bike (and me too!)

15 replies to this topic
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted October 12, 2000 - 01:37 PM

OK, so here's the deal. I show up with my meticulously maintained and gorgeous bike. Not to mention anyone specifically (Bryan, Jake, Dougie, Kerry S., Brian Meadows), but I think A LOT of those guys were just plain JEALOUS. I mean c'mon, my bike was in showroom condition. After I fell asleep, they all planned on certain trails that would DESTROY my bike and turn it into...something that looked like their bikes. Not that there was anything wrong with the way their bikes looked. They just didn't look like mine (did I mention SHOWROOM condition?). Now my bike is beat up, missing my works connection brackets that once mounted to my frame, now hopelessly lost somewhere between Denver and Moab. I could have gotten $5500 for my bike. Now I am hoping to get maybe ~$3500, if I get the frame POWDER COATED! My new FMF Power Bomb header shows the scars of Moab. My OEM 110x90/18 739 Dunlop is sitting somewhere (but not in the hotel's dumpster...) almost bald. A 756 now sits on my bike (and THAT IS WORN TOO). The helmet I was painting AROUND THE CLOCK for 3 days straight is now SCRATCHED UP for Pete's sake. I guess it's time to get ALL NEW FRICKIN' PLASTIC. Heck, I might as well throw in a STICKER KIT TOO! There goes another $100.00!
As for my body, the last time I was in this much pain was when I was body slammin' the crowd at a DEVO concert where later I was trampled to the verge of death. I was in THAT MUCH PAIN!

I just came back from the Doc about my right wrist. It wouldn't work right and I couldn't get the firm grip I needed when I was by myself in the bathroom late at night after everyone else went to sleep. Unlike the limped wrist San Francisco guys who shared a twin bed (uhh, that would be Howard-Not-So-Huge and Mike), my wrist wouldn't bend at all. But being the Olympic Athlete I am capable of being, I just ignored the bone sticking out of my arm, and roosted everyone who happened to be behind me when we hit the sandy bermed sections. I won't mention how I got my ass kicked everywhere else, but if I was A LOT FASTER, I could've smoked everybody, including the biker chick on our last ride in Moab!

Can't wait 'till next year!

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 12, 2000 - 02:36 PM

I'm sitting here at work laughing out loud with coke running out my nose - why are people looking at me funny?

Anyhow, now that your bike has been broken of it's track queen status I guess you're ready for some real riding :)

Just imagine what your bike would look like if there was anything that resembled a tree in Moab.....

Hey, at least you didn't wad up a radiator & a engine side cover. Yep, took two bikes - my WR & my wifes XR250 & broke em both. What can I say?

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted October 12, 2000 - 02:50 PM

I just want to say that I was on top.... :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 12, 2000 - 03:23 PM

It always sucks to get that first scratch, But at least now you can ride with out thinking about that first scratch. Now you get to enjoy the ride and being with freinds having a few beers after the ride and laughing about the rest of the scratches and dents that are sure to follow.....

and about the pain that just means you had FUN........

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 12, 2000 - 03:32 PM

Mike are you talking about on the bike or something/one else? From what I hear your bike chased you down 'cause it wanted to be on top.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 12, 2000 - 04:25 PM

On top of the rocks with wr tracks down your back :)

• Shane

Posted October 12, 2000 - 05:12 PM

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 13, 2000 - 02:29 AM

Does this mean you can't ride sunday? Do you want some cheeze to go with that wine? Nice pics from moab.

Mike in NH

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan

Posted October 13, 2000 - 05:04 AM

Sorry about your bike Kevin.

NOT ! ! !

That's what a WR is SUPPOSED to look like!

Did you just think I was bad at keeping up the appearance of my WR? No. It's been to Moab 5 TIMES ! ! !

The first time I returned from Moab, it had red sand gouged permenently into all parts of the plastic and many broken parts.

Sounds to me like you enjoyed the abuse? :)

• Vincent

Posted October 13, 2000 - 05:34 AM

Dont feel too bad Kevin. The last time I took my 81 Jeep CJ-7 to Moab it had a brand new, barely cured, Corvette Competition Yellow paint job on it.

Yep, you guessed it...I broke that paint job in right. First I bent and scraped the left rear corner all to heck on the "Rocker Knocker" on the Pritchett Canyon trail. Then I did the same thing to the right side the next day on the "Golden Crack" on the Golden Spike trail. Of course, the guys on the trail behind me had to add comentary over the C.B. radio about how much yellow paint I left attached to the slickrock!

When I called my wife to explain to her what a good time I was having and what I'd done to the Jeep, I told her "Hey, at least both corners match now!" She failed to see the humor in it, go figure. :)

Oh well, thats what I built it for same as your at least yours is broken in right!!

Just teasing... :D

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted October 13, 2000 - 05:37 AM

Did the "Crack" adjust your rear bumper at all? One jeeper had his adjusted, although I am sure there were many, many more!

99 WZ, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards. Canada for 2001...???

• Dougie

Posted October 13, 2000 - 08:42 AM

That was the plan all along. To get people's bikes to look like ours.

• paul913

Posted October 13, 2000 - 09:05 PM

I just finished washing my and Bryan's scoots. Not too bad, actually. You see, if you keep them kinda scratched up, they don't show the new ones too bad :) I just didn't think you could bend/crack carbon fiber so bad?

Check your coolant. I lost quite a bit out there. Also remember the altitude change probably caused some extra overflow of oil.

• ahamay

Posted October 13, 2000 - 01:01 PM

Oh My God! Where did you guys learn how to ride! My WR has many miles in Moab and I don't have a scratch on it from there. Just kidding! It can be some real unforgiving riding but the best there ever was. I'll be there in a couple weeks for our fall trip.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted October 15, 2000 - 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Kevin in New Hampshire:
The helmet I was painting AROUND THE CLOCK for 3 days straight is now SCRATCHED UP for Pete's sake.

You must have some of that pink paint left over to touch it up with.. maybe not... didn't you paint the frame pink also?? :) :D

**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted October 15, 2000 - 03:45 PM

Pink WAS one of the colors I removed.

Remember, this helmet was painted in 1991 when ALL the neons were cool, especially at the beach!

Now, my ancient Bell Moto IV is silver, Yamaha blue, white and black. It has the (Yamaha) black blocks on it (just like the old tanks, or like some of the sticker kits available).

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.