Greasing your WR450

32 replies to this topic
  • Mutu

Posted July 04, 2007 - 01:57 AM

Pressure washer is fine. I recommend it. Best thing since sliced bread.
Use common sense, just don't blast around bearing seals and o/x-ring chain.

• FastRides

Posted July 04, 2007 - 07:32 AM

Listen to Dave,

His encouragement, along with the information in ThumperFaq gave me the confidence to do tear into the linkage myself. Here is a link to the "greasing Swingarm linkage".

http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

Yea, same- here's a similar thread....
http://www.thumperta...earned greasing

• mcflzwr450f

Posted July 04, 2007 - 08:54 AM

Pressure washer is fine. I recommend it. Best thing since sliced bread.
Use common sense, just don't blast around bearing seals and o/x-ring chain.

Thank you, I have used a pressure washer for over 20 years and never had a problem. The cleaner you get your bike the better and it will count the most when you you have to tear it down and the dirt is totally gone.:thumbsup:

• MN_Paul

Posted July 04, 2007 - 07:30 PM

I agree with the NEVER USE A PRESSURE WASHER idea. If you are extremely careful, you can get away with it but it only takes a slip and you can force water/dirt into places where it can do a lot of damage. I bought my bike from a pressure washing owner and there was water and mud inside the rear shock and mixed with fork oil. It only takes a passing glance past a chain to put water inside the o-rings and then a chain doesn't last much longer once the grease is replaced with water. I found evidence of water intrusion every time I opened something up.

I now use just a garden hose and a little scrubbing. It takes a little longer but my bike is much happier. For me, after seeing what it does, it is no longer worth the risk of using a pressure washer.

Paul

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 05, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Pressure washing keeps bearing manufacturers in business.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 05, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Well, I finally took apart my steering stem, and the steering head bearings are rusted very badly. Looks like the original grease didn't last too long. I'm not comlaining, this bike has given me many many miles of smiles. I do NOT pressure wash, but water or moisture still finds its way in. Next is the swingarm and linkage (probably wasted too).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motomanmike27

Posted July 05, 2007 - 08:17 AM

grease your spindles

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 05, 2007 - 08:42 AM

grease your spindles

Can you elaborate?

• Mutu

Posted July 05, 2007 - 08:45 AM

Just grease everything!
I regrease my bikes about every 6 months.

BTW, I never have any water in the seals and i pressure wash my bikes! :thumbsup:

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:00 PM

I just changed my steering head bearings and races this afternoon. The ones I took out lasted seven years of riding/cleaning just about every weekend. No pressure washing except for a period of about three months a couple of years ago which made me have to put new bearings in most of the suspension linkages and both wheels.

• Motocrash

Posted July 11, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Japanese directions on lubing bearings at the factory;
1. Stick finger in grease.
2. Wipe finger on towel.
3. Rub residue on bearing/race.
Since the late '70's I've disassembled and greased (notice I didn't say re-greased) every bearing on the chassis of every Japanese bike, dirt or street, that I have purchased. It still shocks me when I pull one apart and see how little grease is in them. I couple hours work will save you a Buttload (alot) of cash and grief.

• drtbk4ever

Posted July 11, 2007 - 11:50 AM

Anybody ever seen a step by step tutorial containing photographs for greasing the Steering Head and greasing the wheel bearings? I know the manual is good, but I have more confidence if I have another step by step procedure to follow.

I think that Steering head and my wheel bearings are the next major endeavour. I have to get psyched up for it.

Thanks.

• GCannon

Posted July 11, 2007 - 03:06 PM

You just have to strap on the "Big Balls" and do it after you are done you will wonder what the fuss was about.:cheers: :bonk: :lol:

This job is actully better done with a little help ( not genius help just extra hands, Your wife will do) because when you remove that top triple clamp it is pretty easy for the forks and wheel to get away from you (unless you tear apart all that stuff first):thumbsup:

When you finnish be sure and tell your wife how you are the "Man":banana: :thumbsup: :busted:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.