Greasing your WR450

32 replies to this topic
  • canyonclimb

Posted July 01, 2007 - 07:18 PM

I just went on a nice Ride with my Brother and his DRZ 400. Afterward, while washing our bikes down, he pulled out a grease gun and greased some fitting around his rear suspension. I have never greased my 04 wr450 and upon closer inspection realized I have no fittings or anywhere that I could grease it. Does it need to be greased at all, if so how, where?
Canyon

• clark4131

Posted July 01, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Have you done a search or read the stickies? Lots of info on this very subject. Grease everything you can get to...this late in the game, you'll be lucky if you don't need to replace some bearings...SC

• canyonclimb

Posted July 01, 2007 - 07:55 PM

ok, I read the section on greasing, but that was not the answer I was looking for. Does the bike "have" to be disassembled before it can be greased. are there fittings for a grease gun inside or have you just been greasing the parts manually after disassembled? It seems I need to be greasing immediately.

• ducatiwv

Posted July 01, 2007 - 07:59 PM

You have to grease them manually....use a good waterproof grease such as Bel Ray or similar....It's not that difficult, but definitely needs to be done...

• davegod

Posted July 01, 2007 - 08:06 PM

:thumbsup: your bike should have been disassembled when you first got it and lubed:eek: .i bought my 05 and greased it with belray waterproof grease.they come from the factory with grease so light the bearings will fall out when you remove the inner race.it's a slow process to do,2-4 hours depending on your abilities and facilities but very necessary for the life of the bike.i've done mine 3 times now and next time will be replacing the linkage bearings.there not done but some wear is visible.don't forget the steering neck!pain in the butt but do it.the price of performance i guess.:thumbsup: the other guy is right to assume you'll need bearings unless a miracle has occured under the back fender of your bike.sorry i can't give you a better outlook but you can do this.

• canyonclimb

Posted July 01, 2007 - 08:25 PM

I appreciate the advice, Looks like my next saturday just got booked up with work...haha The price we pay.

• xrmarty

Posted July 01, 2007 - 08:42 PM

I appreciate the advice, Looks like my next saturday just got booked up with work...haha The price we pay.

You definitely wanna do this. I neglected my XR400 for 2 years when I realized needed to lube it. Taking out the swing arm bolt was an absolute nightmare. It was so stuck in there that I destroyed the bolt in the process of removing it. When I had my suspension re-worked on the WR I had the shop lube every joint and bearing. Now I don't have to worry about it for a while:ride:

• MxnDoc

Posted July 01, 2007 - 08:54 PM

I just went on a nice Ride with my Brother and his DRZ 400. Afterward, while washing our bikes down, he pulled out a grease gun and greased some fitting around his rear suspension. I have never greased my 04 wr450 and upon closer inspection realized I have no fittings or anywhere that I could grease it. Does it need to be greased at all, if so how, where?
Canyon

Maybe you should check the manual. On closer inspection I found out that many bearings in the swingarm and linkage are PERMANENTLY LUBRICATED with a hard type grease. Never need grease added! Check it out in your manual!

• WR_Dave

Posted July 01, 2007 - 09:04 PM

Maybe you should check the manual. On closer inspection I found out that many bearings in the swingarm and linkage are PERMANENTLY LUBRICATED with a hard type grease. Never need grease added! Check it out in your manual!

That may have been the intent when the engineers built the bike but it doesn't work in the real world, it does however sell bearings. Learn to do some wrenching on your bike and it will benefit you imensely. If you ride much mud and water you need to grease the linkages often. I installed grease fittings on the swingarm pivots and give them a shot of clean grease every month. I also do my steering head during every fall teardown. The remaining linkage can be removed , cleaned and greased in a few hours during the evening along with a beer or two. Again, my .02 -- WR Dave.

• xr250ryder

Posted July 01, 2007 - 09:15 PM

If you pressure spray your bike you will need to check the bearings regularly as the pressure can force out the grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtbk4ever

Posted July 03, 2007 - 08:49 AM

That may have been the intent when the engineers built the bike but it doesn't work in the real world, it does however sell bearings. Learn to do some wrenching on your bike and it will benefit you imensely. If you ride much mud and water you need to grease the linkages often. I installed grease fittings on the swingarm pivots and give them a shot of clean grease every month. I also do my steering head during every fall teardown. The remaining linkage can be removed , cleaned and greased in a few hours during the evening along with a beer or two. Again, my .02 -- WR Dave.

Listen to Dave,

His encouragement, along with the information in ThumperFaq gave me the confidence to do tear into the linkage myself. Here is a link to the "greasing Swingarm linkage".

http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

• clark4131

Posted July 03, 2007 - 09:15 AM

If you pressure spray your bike you will need to check the bearings regularly as the pressure can force out the grease.

NEVER pressure wash your bike. Bad, bad, bad things can happen...SC

• PROWLER 58

Posted July 03, 2007 - 12:09 PM

Listen to Dave,

His encouragement, along with the information in ThumperFaq gave me the confidence to do tear into the linkage myself. Here is a link to the "greasing Swingarm linkage".

http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

Thats a great link you put on there. I paid the dealer to grease my 07 WR450.( OUCH !). 140 bucks in labor. Ill attempt it myself next time. Bob

• drtbk4ever

Posted July 03, 2007 - 03:39 PM

Thats a great link you put on there. I paid the dealer to grease my 07 WR450.( OUCH !). 140 bucks in labor. Ill attempt it myself next time. Bob

Bob, It is a great link. The only problem I had/have is I still have a washer sitting on the work bench that I can't figure out where it goes.

• YAM93

Posted July 03, 2007 - 03:46 PM

Drtbk4ever you have the best avatar for this subject. Please tell me that is not you with your wheels falling off!

Anybody use any other brands of Moly grease besides Bel-Ray here?

• drtbk4ever

Posted July 03, 2007 - 06:02 PM

Drtbk4ever you have the best avatar for this subject. Please tell me that is not you with your wheels falling off!

Anybody use any other brands of Moly grease besides Bel-Ray here?

That's funny Yam, I didn't even notice that, but you are correct, it is rather appropriate. And no, it isn't me. I would bet it was a photoshop job.

• Mutu

Posted July 03, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Reminds me I got to do my bikes again.....

• marty b

Posted July 03, 2007 - 07:05 PM

i run in a lot of mud and at 6 months i dissasembeled to greas and had to replace 2 bearings, they were blocks of rust,
life time greas means the life of the bearing
they need to be dissembeled and greased twice a year

• mcflzwr450f

Posted July 03, 2007 - 08:16 PM

NEVER pressure wash your bike. Bad, bad, bad things can happen...SC

What bad things, :thumbsup: I have never herd of anything that dirt doesn't already do. You can pressure wash your bike all you want it will not hurt anything just maintain it.

• PROWLER 58

Posted July 03, 2007 - 09:07 PM

What bad things, :thumbsup: I have never herd of anything that dirt doesn't already do. You can pressure wash your bike all you want it will not hurt anything just maintain it.

The bad thing is this...... you may force dirt into critical areas. As your riding ,dirt,mud get on the OUTSIDE surfaces of your bike . Just rinse it off with a garden hose, NOT a pressure hose.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.