'07 YZ450 vs. '07 WR450

20 replies to this topic
  • carver

Posted July 01, 2007 - 01:47 PM

I'm trying to decide between the YZ and the WR and I'm deadlocked.

My riding is 75% off road/25% track and live in California sticker land
(although there are some year round red sticker areas within range not to mention many have gone to red sticker restricted only 3 months of the year)
I did a search but the comparisons weren't very specific.

Here's where I'm at on these two

YZ
Pro's
-weight
-ease of maneuvering in tight sections/woods
-less tiring
-price ($5900 OTD)
-more track worthy
-better head angle for turning in tight sections
-new improved SSS front forks

YZ
Con's
-gearing for off road (close ratio)
-red sticker (although this is less of an issue now with many areas allowing red sticker year round or 9 months)
-suspension might be too stiff for woods etc.
-less bottom end
-fuel range

WR
Pro's
-e-start (although I've never minded kicking my YZ400F)
-wide ratio gearbox
-green sticker
-off road suspension less punishing
-more bottom end torque
-can be lightened to near YZ spec.
-fuel range
-18" rear wheel

WR
Con's
-felt heavy to me when moving it around at the dealer as in high center of gravity, not just weight (very noticeable vs. the YZ)
-$300 more than YZ + figure about $400 more for a pipe and jetting so ~ $700 more
-more effort to ride in tight or loose situations vs. YZ
-not as track worthy as YZ
-less responsive steering
-old technology front suspension, not new YZ SSS forks (this really is a disappointment)

I'm really on the fence because the WR makes the most logical sense, but it feels like more of a compromise with the weight
and older suspension. I want the YZ but am not sure how much practicality I'll be giving up with the close ratio box for tight woods + top speed.

I'm coming off a YZ400F track bike and KTM 300MXC woods bike, weigh 170lb.
Not interested in a 250F or two stroke.

So I'm curious what you guys think who have ridden them both or have ridden one or the other outside of its element ie.
the WR on the track or the YZ off road....how was the '07 YZ SSS fork vs. the '07 WR old style cartridge for off road?
Which bike would you be most happy with for 75% off road and 25% track?

Thanks

Andrew

• dafyddroberts

Posted July 01, 2007 - 04:01 PM

i have the wr 07 and did my first enduro the uk version of gncc cross country. I found the power of the 450 unmatched by anything there ktm Honda gas gas beta nothing could touch the bike on the open stuff. But on the tight stuff the weight of the bike came into play and it was very hard to handle even though i have a scott dampner and rekluse clutch these two mods take the bike to another level by the way. Anyway I got home and looked at the specs for the yz450 100kg my bike weight was 117kg on the scales i managed to cut it down to 102 after removing the electric start and other stuff but when i tried it out wow what a difference but when it came to the hard going stuff the electric start is a must even with the auto clutch that makes it hard to stall the magic button has to go back on i think it will take it up to about 104kg. The new wr is one hell of a bike

• ducatiwv

Posted July 01, 2007 - 05:16 PM

I just bought both, and I really cant tell much difference in the feel of either....They both feel light and easy to manuever on....I LOVE the electric start on the WR.....and i repeat LOVE it....if i did mostly offroad, the Wr wound be my choice.......:thumbsup:

• Richie B

Posted July 01, 2007 - 05:24 PM

yeah the magic button is important but ive always herd a yzf is easier to make trailworthy than a wr is to make trackworthy. and u can always change the gearing on the yz. id go with the yz if i was you

• jpoehls

Posted July 01, 2007 - 05:30 PM

I sold my 06 DRZ400S and bought the 07 WR450...I think I died and went to heaven...as you can see though, it is relative. I am 6' 200 pounds in shape, and think its easy to sling the WR around. The DRZ was a different story.

My WR is plated. I have been pulled over a couple times (cops thinking we are riding around in the neighborhood with no license. We live at the base of a riding area (have to go about 1/2 mile to be on the trail to BLM area).

The cop comes at me from the front signaling me over. He pulls next to me. He states...You know you have to have a licensed vehicle to drive on the street...I say absolutely. He looks at me dumb founded. Then I say, thats why I am plated. He looks to the back of the bike and says, well I guess I have no problem with you....thats leads to the small talk and threats of 1,000 fines for tresspassing. Isn't this our tax dollars going after the violent criminals...

OK, there you go. Get the WR...its a beast.

• carver

Posted July 01, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Definitely won't plate the bike, I'm going more in the lightweight track direction with the WR vs. the off road direction with the YZ.
Richie, you may be right there, that is the crux of the issue.
Thanks to all that have replied so far, looking forward to more from those who have ridden both or used one or the other for the opposite usage.

• Mutu

Posted July 01, 2007 - 11:41 PM

I would buy the YZ, revalve the suspension, put on a bigger fuel tank, change gearing and be done with it. You have to do these things to a WR anyway. :thumbsup:

I find the YZ is just that much more fun to ride, being sooo much lighter and all.

Sounds like you are the type of guy that is a bit serious about his riding, seems like to me you will be happiest on a new YZ mate. :thumbsup:

I got my WR because at the time I needed a plate, nothing else.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 02, 2007 - 11:35 PM

The aluminum framed YZ and WR actually "feel" very similar to eachother dispite the weight difference. Yamaha really figured this thing out...the 06 WR I rode was kinda porky top heavy feeling.

• zelur

Posted July 03, 2007 - 07:59 AM

I have the 07 WR 450F and a friend has the 07 YZ 450F I haven't seen much difference between the two. I love the magic button on mine and laugh every time he has to kick his YZ over. If I had the chance I would buy both, just to have the YZ for tracks and the WR for trail riding. Right now my bike is still stock and I need to break down and do the free mods and a few other things to the bike to awaken it.

• carver

Posted July 03, 2007 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for all of the reply's everyone.
I'm going over to the dealer today and am going to weigh the bikes side by side including layed over bar weights to see the difference.
I understand how they might feel similar at speed on a trail, but when I sit on them and throw them around, the WR feels
noticeably more top heavy to me and it's bugging me since that was a disappointment with my YZ400F and one of the reasons I liked my KTM300MXC.
Obviously that's not the only consideration, but imho a flickable bike is a big part of enjoying a combo off-road/track bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 03, 2007 - 08:28 AM

imho a flickable bike is a big part of enjoying a combo off-road/track bike.

sounds like you have made up your mind! either way its a yamaha so your getting a reliable bike!

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 03, 2007 - 08:51 AM

I have the 07 WR 450F and a friend has the 07 YZ 450F I haven't seen much difference between the two. I love the magic button on mine and laugh every time he has to kick his YZ over.

Do you find that your WR starts better by kicking it as opposed to using the button. Mine starts first kick pretty much all the time unless I forget to pull in the hot start lever when its hot but w/ the starter it takes 5-8 revolutions to start :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm making too big a deal of it. This is a big bore high compression bike and the starter on it is half the size of the starter on my small bore low compression trail pig :thumbsup:

• carver

Posted July 03, 2007 - 09:11 AM

sounds like you have made up your mind!(YZ)

Yeah, lol, I know it sounds like it, but we'll see once I go feel them again today....
The WR is really the more practical, logical choice.
But I want agility/performance/SSS forks and that is trumping practicality so far...

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 03, 2007 - 10:22 AM

Do you find that your WR starts better by kicking it as opposed to using the button. Mine starts first kick pretty much all the time unless I forget to pull in the hot start lever when its hot but w/ the starter it takes 5-8 revolutions to start :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm making too big a deal of it. This is a big bore high compression bike and the starter on it is half the size of the starter on my small bore low compression trail pig :thumbsup:

im with you! the ttr takes nothing to start, the wr a couple turns, it gets better once you jet it!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 03, 2007 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, lol, I know it sounds like it, but we'll see once I go feel them again today....
The WR is really the more practical, logical choice.
But I want agility/performance/SSS forks and that is trumping practicality so far...

food for though, you can always get the 3-5 gear and put that in the yz so in theory you would have 1-2 mx gear on the trac and 3-5 for top end enduro. parts and labor should only be right around 400 bucks. if you ask me that would be the ticket!

• carver

Posted July 03, 2007 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, that's a possibility....actually I think the YZ dropped to a 12T front will still have decent top end with a good off road 1st gear.
So I just went over and made the mistake of comparing the WR vs. the YZ vs. a '07 KTM 300XC......that new KTM feels like a lightweight weapon......
Hmmmm, just saw that YZ450 vs. KTM 300 thread and will have to go back and read some searches on the subject.....I did love my '97 300MXC.....
Here we go again, back to considering 2T's......well there's been a lot of threads on it so I'll search it, but feel free to comment on your experiences...:thumbsup:

• ZEHR

Posted July 03, 2007 - 03:08 PM

I'am just a newbe, but i have a 04 wr450f supermoto on the street and it feels heavy enough, my friend has a 06 wr450f, with mods grey wire ect, and i've rode it on the track and hit a few jumps. (not woops) jumps with it, and i would say buy the yz. the only thing i would say your down fall is would be no headlight. but the feel and weight can't be beat. thats just my look at it from the north.

• carver

Posted July 04, 2007 - 11:26 AM

Well, in a strange twist I just got a chance to check out a low time, like new '02 YZ250 set up for off road..........
that is the bike, so thanks for all the replys....going back to a 2T

• Mutu

Posted July 04, 2007 - 11:34 PM

Well, you will enjoy it mate! They are good bikes.

• carver

Posted July 05, 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thanks bro :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.