synthetic oil

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 12, 2000 - 05:15 PM

I have been using a synthetic oil (rock oil) and was wondering if anybody can tell me if they like/dislike synthetic oils. I don't have much experience in 4-stroke engin oils but want to take care of my baby. any input will be very usefull . thanks

marty

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted October 12, 2000 - 05:35 PM

Oh man, did you open a can of worms!!! You are going to get about a hundred different recommendations on what type of oil to use. My take is this, use quality oil(synthetic or semi, or mineral based) and change it as often as possible. I would also change the filter at every change and clean the strainer every other change, more often when new. In my opinion, that's the key to long life.

• JamesD

Posted October 12, 2000 - 06:31 PM

Most synthetic oils have slightly different properties than regular oil. If memory serves, synthetic tends to offer lower friction while regular oil acts more like a shock absorber between things like gears where they make contact. That's why so many blends are available, they offer more or less of the properties of each.

As for changing your oil as often as possible, the government spent a lot of money to research what effect frequency of oil changes has on engines. They discovered that no damage occured to the engine even when you ran the oil twice as long as recommended. Change in on schedule and you should be fine under normal conditions. If you race you may want to change it more often if for no other reason that to see if metal filings are showing up in the filters. It's cheaper to fix a bike before a major engine failure than after.

I use a blend but that's my choice. Just make sure the bike is well broken in before going to a real slick synthetic or the break in period will be extended and the bike's performance will suffer while it's still tight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bonez34

Posted October 12, 2000 - 07:15 PM

i try to stay away from full synthetic just because wr's have a wet clutch. my friend used car synthetic, and his bike wouldn't move the clutch slipped so bad. ive learned to just buy motorcycle oil from any reputable motorcycle oil maker-regular, semi or full. whichever co.'s marketing scheme works on you.

• 426_Tommy

Posted October 12, 2000 - 07:47 PM

Mobil Oil has an informative site that explains why to stay away from oils (synthetic or not) containing friction modifiers as they may cause clutch slippage. I've been using Mobil One 4-stroke with good results, however, if I had to change my oil as often as a racer, I'd go broke. Keep it clean and full- last long time. Have fun! :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 12, 2000 - 08:59 PM

"synthetic oil (rock oil)"?

I thought "rock oil" was oil that came from the ground (drilled thru rocks to get it) or mineral oil.

Synthetic oil is man-made. (not from the ground)

Did I miss something?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.