Good source for a Scotts SS filter?

11 replies to this topic
  • RiderX

Posted June 30, 2007 - 05:57 PM

I'd like to pick one up but $60 is a lot to spend on an oil filter. Are there any websites that sell them cheaper, or is there another brand that's comparable to Scotts quality?

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2007 - 06:35 PM

You will hear opinions to the contrary, but the copy cats are flatly not at the same quality level as the Scotts. $60 does seem like a lot when you pay it out up front, but you will NEVER need another oil filter for your YZF, or for the next one, unless the next one is an '09, and the filters are suddenly different. Add that up over two or three year's time. Buy it at the TT Store.

• RiderX

Posted June 30, 2007 - 07:17 PM

You will hear opinions to the contrary, but the copy cats are flatly not at the same quality level as the Scotts. $60 does seem like a lot when you pay it out up front, but you will NEVER need another oil filter for your YZF, or for the next one, unless the next one is an '09, and the filters are suddenly different. Add that up over two or three year's time. Buy it at the TT Store.

Yeah, I had one on my YZ250F, I should have kept it instead of selling the bike with it still in there. I know that it'll pay for its self, but I ride on a small budget right now, so if I can save a buck I will. Scotts is defintely top quality, the I don't know if the Ready Flow SS filter is comparable, but I trusy Scotts.

• xr-jorger

Posted June 30, 2007 - 07:36 PM

how about this, I have had one for a while now and I like em
http://cgi.ebay.com/...73073QQtcZphoto

• RiderX

Posted June 30, 2007 - 07:50 PM

how about this, I have had one for a while now and I like em
http://cgi.ebay.com/...73073QQtcZphoto

I saw that while browsing Ebay recently and my thoughts are that it really doesn't look much better than the stock filter that "reusable"(once or twice). It looks like a poor quality product to me, but I may be wrong.

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:36 PM

Even if the stainless mesh comes from the same vendor that Scotts uses, questions arise:

Do they use the same amount of mesh in each filter as Scotts? The Scotts has nearly twice the amount of filter media folded into it as the OEM bronze mesh filter has.

Is the seam where the two ends of the media meet folded over and welded like the Scotts, or just folded?

What are the ends bonded to the media with?

What is the quality of the parts used in the bypass valve?

Scotts publishes the answers to all of these questions. The others often only say that they are "just like" the Scotts. You decide.

I'm not familiar with the Pit Posse filters, but I have seen reports of both CRT and Ready filters falling apart one way or other. I have a Scotts that's 4 years old now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FLjoyride

Posted July 02, 2007 - 03:23 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWD1V

This is what I bought, and it seems to be a good product. Ends are bonded with a rock hard adhesive, the whole thing comes apart for cleaning and looks like a quality product to me for a bit less than the scotts.

• tnl

Posted July 02, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Don't skimp on a filter or a nock off version!!

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 02, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Even if the stainless mesh comes from the same vendor that Scotts uses, questions arise:

Do they use the same amount of mesh in each filter as Scotts? The Scotts has nearly twice the amount of filter media folded into it as the OEM bronze mesh filter has.

Is the seam where the two ends of the media meet folded over and welded like the Scotts, or just folded?

What are the ends bonded to the media with?

What is the quality of the parts used in the bypass valve?

Scotts publishes the answers to all of these questions. The others often only say that they are "just like" the Scotts. You decide.

I'm not familiar with the Pit Posse filters, but I have seen reports of both CRT and Ready filters falling apart one way or other. I have a Scotts that's 4 years old now.

I have a Ready Racing SS filter in my 06 and put it in before I ever fired my bike up when I bought it new. My bike now......has 35.5 hours on it and the filter is still intact:bonk: and does a fine job in collecting metal shavings. Mine seems to be well constructed and all the seams are tight and I believe if someone is looking for a cheaper SS reuseable filter........with my experience with the RR it would be a good choice IMO:thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted July 02, 2007 - 08:33 PM

Get the Scotts from the TT store, they will beat any advertised price by 10% and with the Scotts you know you are getting a quality filter.

• FLjoyride

Posted July 03, 2007 - 04:38 AM

Here is one on ebay for a little less than the TT store

http://cgi.ebay.com/...95092QQtcZphoto

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2007 - 07:20 AM

I have a Ready Racing SS filter in my 06 ... My bike now has 35.5 hours on it and the filter is still intact:bonk:

My '03 has well over 6 times that much time on it. Let's compare notes when you catch up.

As I recall, the cover that came with this high precision piece was so well made that it leaked constantly, and had to be removed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.