Do I need rings?

15 replies to this topic
  • Dickie

Posted June 30, 2007 - 04:33 PM

It seems that my '92 XR600 is using a bit more oil than I would like. It seems to be using approx 1/2 quart every 300 miles or so. Do I need rings? If so, how much should I expect to pay to have it done? How hard is it to do myself?
-thanks

• martinfan30

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:13 PM

It seems that my '92 XR600 is using a bit more oil than I would like. It seems to be using approx 1/2 quart every 300 miles or so. Do I need rings? If so, how much should I expect to pay to have it done? How hard is it to do myself?
-thanks

does it smoke? and if it does is it just on start up or all the time? how many miles? if its just on start up, you can get away with a valve stem seal job. easy to do, get a valve spring compressor and you dont even need to pull the engine. if it smokes all the time, well then time for a top end job.

• Dickie

Posted July 01, 2007 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for the response,
I really don't notice much smoke, when I really give it some throttle I see a little small puff out the back. How much is a top end job roughly?

• cleonard

Posted July 01, 2007 - 08:40 AM

Just replacing the rings only makes sense if you are going to do the assembly/disassembly work yourself. The labor cost for a shop to do the work is high enough that you should get a new piston too.

When it is apart have the head/valves looked at too. They might need some attention as well.

If you do it yourself it will be a little over $100 for rings and gaskets. It really depends on what is found when the engine is apart. However, I'd guess that shop work will run you $500 or more.

• Billahjack

Posted July 01, 2007 - 03:20 PM

Valve stem seals may be wearing out too. If you run the bikes at higher RPM, they can go through oil quicker.

• Dickie

Posted July 01, 2007 - 06:06 PM

Yes, I have been riding on the street a lot lately, usually more than 50 MPH, do these use that much oil at that RPM? It has a sprocket made for higher speeds, but I haven't put the cooler plug in, I have the stock plug-not the long distance riding plug...could that help?

• cleonard

Posted July 01, 2007 - 06:34 PM

Mine was drinking a lot more oil than yours before I put in new rings. I had to add oil after every ride. I was blowing so much oil out the crankcase breather that a puddle would form everywhere I stopped, and this was trail riding, not road riding. Bike still ran OK when I tore her down. Ran much better after new rings.

• Kawabuggy

Posted July 05, 2007 - 07:32 AM

I second the notion on the valve guide seals. I replaced mine a while back because of a little smoke on start-up, and on deceleration as well. Once I replaced the seals, all of that went away.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dickie

Posted July 05, 2007 - 01:24 PM

thanks for the advise, how much should I expect to pay for valve guide seals?

• Jonala

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:05 AM

I'm rebuilding a 94' XR 600 for a friend. The bike was smoking and going through a lot of oil. I took the motor down to the cases.

Funny thing. The cylinder bore and piston measure within service limits. The ring gaps were beyond the limits. There was no blow by on the piston. The top of the piston had very little carbon build up.

The valve springs are beyond service limits to the point where the exhaust valves look like they weren't closing properly.

I think the oil was passing by the exhaust guide seals and going straight into the headers.

• martinfan30

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:13 AM

I'm rebuilding a 94' XR 600 for a friend. The bike was smoking and going through a lot of oil. I took the motor down to the cases.

Funny thing. The cylinder bore and piston measure within service limits. The ring gaps were beyond the limits. There was no blow by on the piston. The top of the piston had very little carbon build up.

The valve springs are beyond service limits to the point where the exhaust valves look like they weren't closing properly.

I think the oil was passing by the exhaust guide seals and going straight into the headers.

could be, can you find any oil in the exhaust?
how many miles on this engine?

• cleonard

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:35 AM

This was what I found as well. I didn't measure the ring end gap. When I put the ring in the bore the gap was huge, like .150 or more. I was amazed to find the bore and piston measuring as almost new. A hone and new rings reduced the oil consumption back to normal.

• Jonala

Posted July 06, 2007 - 12:17 PM

The motor has a lot of miles on it. My friend does a lot of street riding with it.

The headers have a thick coat of carbon. It all sort of adds up, to leaky guide seals.

I'm putting new rings, the valves and guides are being checked to see if they are within service limits. If they are good then a fresh grind, new springs, and seals.

Motor should be good to go for another 15 years.

• Jonala

Posted July 06, 2007 - 12:20 PM

This was what I found as well. I didn't measure the ring end gap. When I put the ring in the bore the gap was huge, like .150 or more. I was amazed to find the bore and piston measuring as almost new. A hone and new rings reduced the oil consumption back to normal.

The end gaps were .005" over the limit. I'm going to put new rings, and light hone.

Thanks for the note. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this type of wear.

• FoolishMortal

Posted July 06, 2007 - 02:17 PM

:thumbsup:

I have a '94 and I live in Northern California? Will you be my friend? :thumbsup:

• Dickie

Posted July 06, 2007 - 03:03 PM

how does one look for oil in exhaust? I can't see anything on the rings of my supertrap but I know I am burning some.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.