oil in airbox...

7 replies to this topic
  • redswr

Posted June 30, 2007 - 03:09 PM

hey guys i have been doing the maintance on my bike myself and the last 2 times i've changed the oil i've had alot of it coming out the airbox after a ride... the dipstick looks good though so i'm not sure whats up.

• WR_Dave

Posted June 30, 2007 - 03:18 PM

Are you SURE that you haven't been over oiling the air filter :thumbsup: Are you Sure that you have been putting in the right amount of oil? Have you rerouted the breather hoses, overheated the bike a few too many times, anything else that might provide a clue to what's going on? WR Dave

• redswr

Posted June 30, 2007 - 04:00 PM

i'm pretty sure the breather hoses are in the right spots... although i have taken the subframe off 3 or 4 times. it says 1 quart and i put 1 liter (just a little bit more) its probably drained about 8 oz. out in 2 rides but the dipstick still shows the right amount.

don't think i've over heated it (does it quit running if you do?) the air filter is oiled with the spray so i wouldn't be that.

• WR_Dave

Posted July 01, 2007 - 06:10 AM

If you've overheated the engine enough the piston rings can lose their tension and let alot of combustion pressure past the piston and cause the crankcase pressure to blow the oil out of the breather. I have seen an over oiled filter from using a spray on oil and it put alot of oil in the airbox, the foam can only hold so much oil before it will run out into the airbox. Also it seems that these engines are very particular about the correct amount of oil when you change it. Maybe try removing the breather hose from the airbox and see if the oil comes out during a ride. One other thing I just thought of, some guys use a screen over the airbox inlet to keep the crap out and if it plugs up then the engine could pull enough of a low pressure in the airbox to draw oil from the engine?? :thumbsup: WR Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted July 01, 2007 - 11:50 PM

hey guys i have been doing the maintance on my bike myself and the last 2 times i've changed the oil i've had alot of it coming out the airbox after a ride... the dipstick looks good though so i'm not sure whats up.

How much is a lot?

It is normal to get a bit of crap in there mate.

• redswr

Posted July 02, 2007 - 07:03 PM

How much is a lot?

It is normal to get a bit of crap in there mate.

around 8 oz. first had some water in it that was probably just from hitting the airbox to hard when i washed it.

• crooks420

Posted July 02, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Next time, use a colored filter oil, like Motul, Then see what color oil you are collecting.

• Mutu

Posted July 03, 2007 - 12:47 AM

around 8 oz. first had some water in it that was probably just from hitting the airbox to hard when i washed it.

Hmmm. 8oz is lots. Are you sure it's all oil?

Do you drain all the oil when you change it? Like the frame and the sump? Heat the engine up before oil change? Sounds like over filled to me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.