Steering bearings...re-grease or replace?

1 reply to this topic
  • Shuffler

Posted June 30, 2007 - 01:37 PM

noticed the steering on my bike was feeling strange...thought it was the Scotts stabilizer, so I pulled that off and it's actually in the steering head...it felt 'indexed' when I'd turn the bars left and right.

so I pulled it apart and note the top bearing looks okay, but the lower looks like it ran out of grease. My assumption is that by running my tank breather hose down the steerer tube, any fuel that burps out is running down onto the bearing race and likely dissolving the bearing grease. So, I won't be running my fuel breather like that anymore...

the bearings and races look alright, don't appear to have any pitting or anything, and I hear it's a bitch getting the lower bearing off the steerer tube. Should I just go ahead and repack generously with grease, or should I get new bearings?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VB_Racing

Posted June 30, 2007 - 02:27 PM

You will need to replace the bearings , if you just try to grease the bearings they will still feel notchy. The lower bearing is tough to get off, take the stem and lower tree to a machine shop and have them press it off, if you dont have a press and bearing splitter.

Dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.