ut oh, trouble,..

10 replies to this topic
  • johnnybgood

Posted June 30, 2007 - 11:31 AM

:thumbsup: I havent been able to ride my XR650L in a while, so today I get a chance for a little trip. I cant shift to second gear?!? I get to 1st and then shift to second past neutral and it just doesnt do it. I have messed with the clutch adjustment from one extream to the other and got it to shift a few times but nothing consistant. I messed with it until my foot hurt. My question is, how can you tell if you got a bent shifting fork? I am not due for an oil change but can that make that big of difference? I kinda susspect my clush cable has streached but its only 750 miles old? I can put it in gear and pull the clutch in and roll it no problem so the clutch is pulling in. Anyone got any ideas? How much you think to have mechanic fix bent shifting forks? I looked at the transmition and it looks like very expensive repair.

• martinfan30

Posted June 30, 2007 - 04:08 PM

i had the same prob. when i still had the stock shifter. the shifter had bent in just enough to hit the case on the way up into 2nd. i bent it back out and no more prob. i have since gone to the MSR shifter. much stouter and hasnt been a prob. since! 22 bucks on ebay!

• johnnybgood

Posted June 30, 2007 - 06:06 PM

yes,.i just put one on,.. becasue I have swisted mine into a pretzle already

• martinfan30

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:07 PM

so apparently still an issue after the msr shifter.:thumbsup:

• zrxer

Posted July 01, 2007 - 07:51 AM

Martinfan30 how ya doin! This is brucifer from oldrice. Haven't heard from ya in a while.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johnnybgood

Posted July 01, 2007 - 10:36 AM

This is my theory; I think because I have let the bike sit of a few weeks that the oil had run off the transmition and collected at the bottom. I will drain the oil and change it, then see. My shifter isnt jammed against the case because I havent ridden it after I put it on, but I am concerned that by twisting the old shifter I may have bent a fork or something. Damn!

• johnnybgood

Posted July 01, 2007 - 11:36 AM

AAAAA HHHAAA! i just knew you guys would help me out! I know I could count on all your helpfull suggestions to figure this one out. As it turns out,.the MSR shifter has a little problem with the 07 650Ls in that its bend is just so that if you mount the shifter to high it hits the chain guard just ever so slightly as to no allow it to shift up. It doesnt actually touch the chain guard when you are moving it back and forth by hand, its the extra little leverage you have with your foot that makes all the differnece in the world to the transmition I guess. It very slight, a matter of one tooth on the splines but just enough to prevent you from shifting up. So, the moral of the story is that if you have a problem shiftin up but not down, look at your shifter closely.

• Dual_Dog

Posted July 01, 2007 - 02:40 PM

AAAAA HHHAAA! i just knew you guys would help me out! I know I could count on all your helpfull suggestions to figure this one out. As it turns out,.the MSR shifter has a little problem with the 07 650Ls in that its bend is just so that if you mount the shifter to high it hits the chain guard just ever so slightly as to no allow it to shift up. It doesnt actually touch the chain guard when you are moving it back and forth by hand, its the extra little leverage you have with your foot that makes all the differnece in the world to the transmition I guess. It very slight, a matter of one tooth on the splines but just enough to prevent you from shifting up. So, the moral of the story is that if you have a problem shiftin up but not down, look at your shifter closely.

Doesn't matter if it's stock or aftermarket, when you rotate the shifter up on the splines to allow for riding boots there is not enough room to be able to upshift past 2nd. And with the shifter in it's stock location it's next to impossible to wear anything but street shoes which don't cut it off-road.

Some years back I notched the css cover on my XRL all the way up through to the ovals to be sure I had plenty of clearance for my MX boots to get under the shifter. Didn't need to be that drastic of a notch but I wanted maximum space for zero interference when shifting.

No problems at all & it works great. I don't even notice the shifter height difference anymore when I do ride street with street shoes & boots. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted July 01, 2007 - 09:17 PM

Martinfan30 how ya doin! This is brucifer from oldrice. Haven't heard from ya in a while.

wow! im doin great! and you? found TT did ya ? cool man. there is another here from there, motosportman. good to see a freindnly face!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted July 01, 2007 - 09:20 PM

how is the old site? havent been there in awhile! how's the XRL?

• zrxer

Posted July 02, 2007 - 05:12 PM

Doing good. You should go there and check out my project XL600R. I installed a '93 XR650L engine in it. Now I have a 1984 XL600 with electric start and 55 more ccs. My apoligies to Johnnybgood for hijacking the thread. I'm done.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.