very cold starting

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Spudman_*

Posted October 09, 2000 - 11:30 AM

My 99 WR is jetted perfectly for the Idaho mountains 6K to 9K feet. Always starts with one kick and never had any starting problems......until this weekend.

Went up hunting and the morning temp was around 25F or -5C. It took me forever to get my bike started first thing in the morning. Once started it ran pretty good, but not perfectly as stated above.

Anybody else in the forum ever start their bike in extreme cold weather. What did you need to do?

• Kermit

Posted October 09, 2000 - 12:31 PM

Tuck her in at night with a warm blanket........
I really don't know. It doesn't get that cold in southern AZ. Did you ever think of an oil heater? Like the ones you can get for autos? I'm just guessing here. What do snow-mo-bills use? Or does it matter with 2 strokes? That's usually what those guys are.

• ray_lebreton

Posted October 09, 2000 - 04:12 PM

i also went hunting this weekend with my wr at about 5ooo feet and had no problems starting my bike at the same temp. how do you carry your gun on your bike? i had mine over my shoulder and after a while my shoulder got pretty tired.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lou*

Posted October 09, 2000 - 04:59 PM

Spudman, Must have been a day your bike wanted to sleep in, here in Auz I only ride winter, with tempratures at -5 C, never a problem 1st or 2nd kick.

• ecarlson

Posted October 09, 2000 - 05:08 PM

It happened to me the other day at 34 deg. My plug was slightly carboned up. A new plug and it started on the first kick.

• Guest_Spudman_*

Posted October 10, 2000 - 06:08 AM

Maybe old blue just wanted to get me warmed up in the morning with all that extra kicking. :) Thanks all for the input.

Ray, I carry my gun over my shoulder as well. Haven't looked into it, but maybe a scabbard could be mounted somewhere on the bike.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.