XR650R Street Legal / Title advice

4 replies to this topic
  • angra

Posted June 30, 2007 - 12:47 AM

I am interested in buying a 2002 Honda XR650R converted to a dual sport. The bike looks really good. I have a question about the Title issued by the DMV. The bike has a California license plate, but the Title was issued as a Salvage Title (everything looked good). Was the title issued as a salvage title due to the street conversion? Will I have any problem transferring it? The bike had "all intake/exhaust restrictors removed"; Do I need to have a Smog certification? will it pass? Any help will be appreciated.

• DuelRule

Posted June 30, 2007 - 02:02 AM

I am interested in buying a 2002 Honda XR650R converted to a dual sport. The bike looks really good. I have a question about the Title issued by the DMV. The bike has a California license plate, but the Title was issued as a Salvage Title (everything looked good). Was the title issued as a salvage title due to the street conversion? Will I have any problem transferring it? The bike had "all intake/exhaust restrictors removed"; Do I need to have a Smog certification? will it pass? Any help will be appreciated.

A salvaged title could mean several things (insurance claim possibly?) so I won't go there. Look on the title to be sure it was plated before the cutoff. (feb 04) If it already has a Ca. plate then there should be no problem registering it and no inspection. Just pay and ride. No smog.
:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scotty Breauxman

Posted July 03, 2007 - 12:24 PM

i agree with DuleRule

• KShow

Posted July 03, 2007 - 04:51 PM

Like said above, make sure it was plated before the cutoff, it dosent say on the title. Also you will need the bike for a VIN inspection when you go to register. If youre a AAA member you can do everything there. Just remember, when you go to register the bike in your name,, be VERY nice to the person you deal with. A little extra kindness towards them will do nothing but help your cause.

• thumper605

Posted July 04, 2007 - 06:50 PM

The Salvage Title may not be an issue.

I have heard of some states that will issue salvage title when there is a conversion done on the motorcycle.

So instead of a crash to get the salvage title it could of been the conversion.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.