YZ 400 wide ratio questions

6 replies to this topic
  • brvt1000

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:53 PM

So after looking through the FAQ and doing searches I have yet to find the answer I am looking for... so I am sorry if I missed it. I have a 99 YZ 400 that I am looking at putting a the wide ratio WR trans into it. I already have the cases split and need to replace a couple of gears so I thought this would be a great time to do it. What I want to know what gears to replace, and what year WR do I need to get the gears (and shafts if needed) from? I hope there are still a few 400 experts around here that know a thing or two about these old beasts.

• grayracer513

Posted June 29, 2007 - 10:20 PM

I would poke through the parts catalog and identify those parts that are the same, and those that differ between the two gear sets, and order what you need. I'm pretty sure it will all fit.

Find the part numbers you need here:

http://www.yamaha-mo.../starthere.aspx

(no need to sign up for anything, just click the "proceed to catalog" link.)

Then go here for the parts:

http://oem.thumperta...om/default.aspx

You'll save about 30% or more. You may want to call to verify they can get the stuff, but it would surprise me if they can't.

• brvt1000

Posted June 30, 2007 - 07:38 AM

It wasn't clear to me after looking at the diagrams and part numbers. I will keep doing some research. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2007 - 07:45 AM

Probably, only the output shaft (sometimes they call it the drive axle) and the shift forks will be the same. The main shaft has the low gear pinion cut directly on it, so you'll need that. All nine other gears are probably also different, too. Figure to spend $500 or so with a discount to convert it with new parts.

• brvt1000

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:01 AM

The way it looks you are correct. One of the threads I was looking at said that third gear was the same but it seems to be different. I will keep digging.

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2007 - 10:58 AM

If the ratios are close enough, you might be able to reuse the YZ 3rd gears, if the gears that they engage against fit up to them properly.

• lightestYZF

Posted July 05, 2007 - 07:40 PM

Look closely at the sides of the gears which are commonly referred to as the dogs. certain ones have to fit together. This is why there is the 3rd/4th gear issue with mixing YZ and WR ratios the dogs are not compatible. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish but a nice mix which I use on my motard/street 426 is 1st and 2nd from a 99 400 and 3rd ,4th and 5th from a2002 WR. This gives a nice medium ratio gearbox very similar to the 03 to 05 4 speed with a added 5th gear. Also consider upgrading to the 2002 shift drum as they really removed a lot of weight from that part from earlier versions. So net you could use 5th only from the WR or if you want a WR 4th then you have to use WR 3rd too. Using 1st and 2nd from a 400 gives slightly wider ratios than 426 1st and 2nd.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.