Compression stroke???

3 replies to this topic
  • azmanxman

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:39 PM

So I'm OK with the valve adjustment process other than one issue. Is there some idiot-proof way of being sure which "stroke" I'm on while rotating the flywheel?

I've read several valve-adjustment post and I'm ready to have a go, but I'm just not completely sure about this step.

I know to look for "slight free play in the left intake and exhaust rocker arms", but is there anything else I should be looking for just to be sure??

Cheers,
Craig

• Billahjack

Posted June 29, 2007 - 09:41 PM

A 4-stoke engine is at TDC for two different parts of the 4-stroke cycle.

TDC, End of Compression stroke, start of combustion stroke - All valves are closed as you approach and pass the "T" mark on the flywheel.

TDC, End of exhaust stroke, beginning of Intake stroke - Exhaust Valves are closing as you approach the "T" and intake valves are opening.

Basically, watch the valves as you rotate the crank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted June 30, 2007 - 06:01 AM

Watch the intake rockers as you rotate the engine. When the intakes close, the piston is coming up on compression stroke. Line up the "T" mark, you are ready to adjust.

• chuck2000

Posted June 30, 2007 - 02:40 PM

There is a nice graphic on valve opening/closing here:
http://auto.howstuff...com/engine1.htm

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.