XR600 manual decompression system

3 replies to this topic
  • azmanxman

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:33 PM

I've had my 95 XR600R for over a year and finally got around to adding a manual decompressor lever set-up a few months ago. Someone had removed it at some point, not really sure why.

So I go to install it just the way my factory manual shows and I've got a wee problem. Manual states that there should be free play on the lever (5-8mm), but there's not, no matter what I do.

The cable attaches to the motor and has an aduster and two lock nuts on it. One lock nut goes on one side of the sprung bracket, and on one the other. However, even with both nuts on the cable side (in an effort to allow as much slack as possible in the cable) there's still tension from the spring, and therefore no free play on the lever.

Could it be that I've got a valve adjustment issue? I've got a question about that too but I'm going to post seperately.

Any other ideas? Do you have free play in your lever? (Sounds like a personal problem, I know!)

Cheers!
Craig

• nate992v

Posted June 29, 2007 - 10:12 PM

Check the routing of the cable. You can get a little more play by moving the positioning of the lever itself, too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • azmanxman

Posted June 30, 2007 - 12:52 PM

I tried that but couldn't get any slack in the cable at all.

Thanks though.

• HawkGT

Posted June 30, 2007 - 01:39 PM

The free play at the lever should include taking up some of that spring tension. The free play ends when the lifter shaft sticking out of the head actually starts contacting and moving the rocker arm within the head cover. You'll feel it when it makes contact. As you pull the lever, at first you just feel the spring tension--you're still in the "free play" at that point. Then you'll feel a point when there's substantially more pressure. This is when the lifter shaft actually makes contact with the rocker arm. That's the point when the free play ends.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.