2-up ATV riding in Michigan

4 replies to this topic
  • jgunsett

Posted June 29, 2007 - 07:49 PM

My family is planning a trip to the UP of Michigan. We noticed that the regulations prohibit riding 2-up on all ORVs (unless the ORV was originally designed for 2-up riding). My question is, how well is this rule enforced? I've heard of areas where this rule is strictly enforced (Hatfield McCoy trails in WV) and I've seen areas where there were people riding double all over the place, and the DNR officiers didn't seem to mind. Is there anyone out there who's ridden the trails of the UP with any knowledge on the subject? If so, your input is appreciated. (Please no flaming on this. I'll do most of my riding alone, but would love to be able to take my kids on a few short, slow rides on flat trail. We always wear helmets and other protective gear, and I've got over 20 years of riding experience). Thanks!

• 2TrakR

Posted June 29, 2007 - 09:06 PM

Pretty strictly enforced. Less likely to see a CO in the UP than in the LP just 'cause there are fewer people up there. Still, it's illegal and certainly something they can (and do) hassle you about.

Put it another way.. 2 up on a non-2 up machine will get a CO's attention much faster than a loud pipe or no ORV sticker.

• Ron Hamp

Posted June 30, 2007 - 05:20 AM

I have heard that some of the less informed dnrs had actually gave a ticket with a legal 2 person quad i have a polaris 2 seater

• jgunsett

Posted June 30, 2007 - 06:24 AM

So how do you like that 2-seater? I'm seriously considering buying a Can-Am 650 Outlander 2-seater. I've printed a copy of the Michigan regulations, clearly stating that it is illegal to ride double on a vehicle unless that vehicle was manufactured for 2 passengers. If I buy the 2-seater, I will keep the print out with me to show to any uninformed COs that try to ticket me.

• specelec

Posted July 03, 2007 - 06:49 AM

I have a 2-seater Bombardier outlander max 400 and they are great. Sometimes a little tight in some trails. I would agree that you should not ride 2 people on a 1 person atv. Remember infractions on ATV's are MISDEMEANORS! Of course some times DNR will give you a "BREAK" and only write it as a $100+ civil infraction. THANKS OFFICER!

Not sure on the polaris, but watch the width of the newer 2 seaters as wider is not always better.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.