Resetting the "service engine soon" light

17 replies to this topic
  • flyred

Posted June 29, 2007 - 07:01 PM

I have a 98 GMC Yukon whose Service engine light came on recently. I know what caused it but dont want to pay the dealer to reset it. Is there a way to do it WITHOUT the code reader?
Thanks

• Honda_250f_rider

Posted June 29, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Pull out the instrument panel and cut or unplug the wire to the light...

Edit: The light does come on for a reason, either a service reminder and it will go away in a few miles, or won't go away until you do the requirered service. Or there is something wrong with a sensor or some component that the computer is sensing. Either way, you should get it scanned with the computer scan tool and it will tell you exacally what is wrong with your truck/if there is anything... If you do un-hook the battery for a while, it will cut the power to the computer and in turn resetting the codes...

I know that on some of the older cars, like in the 90's, you can take a paper clip and put it over 2 terminals in the fuse box and hook up a analouge volt meter, and count the number of fluctuations and look it up in the service manual to see what the code is telling you.

• Heat Pumper

Posted June 29, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Always appreciate a dumbass reply.
Does anybody want to respond with an intelligent answer?
One that doesn't require vandalizing my truck?

hahahah. You can try disconnecting the battery for a couple minuites, then reconnecting it but if u havent fixed the problem then it will just come back on

• team crash

Posted June 29, 2007 - 07:30 PM

try turning the key on (not starting the car) in this order turn it on,off,on,off,on,off. wait a min turn it back on and see if that worked. I am really not being a smart ass thats how you do it on a dodge, and it also worked on my chevy venture

• team crash

Posted June 29, 2007 - 07:32 PM

just because the light came on dosent mean something is wrong they come on at certain mileage

• Ud_Luz

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:00 PM

The check engine light on the 98 only comes on if there is a fault. It should clear after a bit if the fault is corrected. A lot of auto part stores will read/reset the code for free. I would probably run down to one of them and have them check. It's OBDII which is easy to scan and reset. It's also possible it's now lit from something else.

It's probably minor but why take a chance?

• Soul Man

Posted June 30, 2007 - 06:47 AM

Get a shop manual. I'm pretty sure that you can reset them either with the on-off thing like team crash said, or you can sometimes use a wire to jump two connectors on the plug for the code reader. I know on my Nissan Xterra you can jump the plug to get error messages (the warning lights will blink in a code that you can read from the shop manual (Haynes)), and I'm pretty sure it can also turn off the check engine light.

• MXOldtimer

Posted June 30, 2007 - 07:08 AM

try turning the key on (not starting the car) in this order turn it on,off,on,off,on,off. wait a min turn it back on and see if that worked. I am really not being a smart ass thats how you do it on a dodge, and it also worked on my chevy venture

This is what I was told to do after I had to replace the thermostat on the wifes car and the light didn't go out.

I was told to turned the ignition key on/off 3 times without starting, wahhlaaahhhh no light. :thumbsup:

• rally 224

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:25 AM

For my 96 suburban I just unpluged the battery for 30 min and it went out

• tntmo

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:25 AM

Honestly, you should either buy an OBDII code reader (cheap one is $15) or borrow one from an auto parts store (AutoZone here has them, free to use it).

I bought one a few years ago and help my friends/co-workers when they get a code. I have long ago came out ahead on my investment since they usually pay me with a six pack just to read a trouble code.

• HawkGT

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:47 AM

^^^ what he said. Just go to Autozone. They'll read the code, tell you what it is, and reset the light for free.

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 30, 2007 - 09:16 AM

Every vehicle is different... I could tell you how to do it on a Toyota but that wouldn't do you any good now would it?

I suggest finding a busy GMC forum and asking there.

• Matt2105

Posted June 30, 2007 - 09:44 AM

You can either unhook the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it, or drive the car to Advance Auto Parts or Autozone and have them clear the code for free. I work at Advance part time while I finish up college.

If it's an actual problem though, the light will just come back on until you fix it.

• dirtyriders110

Posted June 30, 2007 - 12:35 PM

What about on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it says its time for an oil change (on board computer thing) but I just had the oil changed and it had a tune up. They obviously didn't reset it but its so annoying because it always beeps at me.

• BlackBuzzard

Posted June 30, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Generally there are two diff lights: Check engine light means cpu thinks something is wrong; Service engine light is just a light that comes on every 6500 miles or so to remind you to change oil etc. Manual that came with truck tell how to reset this..........like key in position 3, and hold trip reset button for 5 sec.....which is what goes for an Accord.

BB

• Matt2105

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:55 PM

What about on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it says its time for an oil change (on board computer thing) but I just had the oil changed and it had a tune up. They obviously didn't reset it but its so annoying because it always beeps at me.

Look in the manual. It will tell you how to turn it off. It's usually a turn off/turn on 3 times type thing.

• flyred

Posted July 01, 2007 - 09:42 PM

Now that's more like it. Thanks for all the good ideas gang. I will get to it in the morning

• dkipz

Posted July 05, 2007 - 09:50 PM

I own a 99 Tahoe (same body style 95-99) and I work at the car dealers on a daily basis installing aftermarket remote start/alarm, nav, video etc. so I run into these scenarios daily. On that era GM, usually the code will "hard code" to the computer and will retain memory when the battery is disconnected, requiring a scan tool to read/reset the code. That year will also har code if the gas cap wasn't on tight enough (EVAP system code), and as long as the gas cap is on tight now, it won't come up again once reset. I bought an Actron scantool that was around $35 that does the trick - reads codes, comes with a disc of code information to load into your computer that gives you vehicle specific information regarding the code, and will reset the light. Well worth the $ IMO. You may find that there are also "pending codes" in your car that aren't a big enought situation to trip the light, but possibly a one time occurance that the car is watching for a repeat before sending the malfunction signal. Those can be reset also with this tool. Hope this helps...
Dan

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.