• dick757

Posted June 29, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Did some research on kits and thanks for all the suggestions from people
Has anyone bought or used from these guys
Thanks
http://www.dualsport....com/index.html

• InternalCombustion

Posted June 30, 2007 - 04:48 AM

I bought my first DS kit several years ago, from E-Line, when I wanted to DS my XR650R. They no longer sell those kits, I'm guessing because they utilized a "black box" for the regulator-rectifier, turn-signal, hi-lo beam controls. The design and build quality of that black box was of very poor quality and I eventually decided to replace it with conventional electrical components.

The reason I went with E-Line originally was that they used the UFO front headlight assembly that has the integrated turn signals and rear brakelight assembly, also with integrated turn signals. Be warned: these units LOOK sweet, but looks are deceiving. The headlight bulb is only about 25 watts (old incandescent design) and is of a type that is hard to find replacements for. Also, the headlight lens is plastic. The turn signal bulbs are very low wattage and can barely be seen in the daytime.

Again, I wound up deciding to modify that unit by replacing the plastic headlight reflector and lens with a Baja Designs unit. Modifying that UFO assembly was a MAJOR pain in the butt but at least now I am able to run an H4-type headlight bulb, which allows me to go all the way up to 100 watts of lighting if I want to. Mucho better.

When my wife wanted me to DS her new CRF230F I went with Baja Designs. No regrets.

My advice is stick with a known supplier, like Baja Designs. ElectroSport has their "Dakar" line of DS kits that seem well-designed but I do not have any experience with them.

Main thing is to get specific feedback here on TT. Better yet, do a TT search on "dual sport kit" and you'll find tons of feedback, good and bad.

Good luck.

Ride safe.

• bosshog

Posted June 30, 2007 - 09:09 AM

I haven't used them befor but I do like the LED turn signals. The switchs look like OEM quality. I also like the idea of the keyed ignition. Can't be sure of the overall quality of the kits but it looks like they are using quality components form what I can see. Hopefully some one has used them befor and can provide feedback.
Bosshog

• AHRMA17L

Posted July 02, 2007 - 08:50 PM

I haven't used them befor but I do like the LED turn signals. The switchs look like OEM quality. I also like the idea of the keyed ignition. Can't be sure of the overall quality of the kits but it looks like they are using quality components form what I can see. Hopefully some one has used them befor and can provide feedback.
Bosshog

That's a negative on the switch ghostrider...the switch is a 1" and a standard handlebar is a 7/8". There is nothing like having to shim the switch so it will actually clamp to the bars. They include two small rubber pieces but they do not work. You have to wrap your bar with something like a piece of innertube to get the switch to clamp onto the bar without sliding.

The switch itself is good, but the clamping diameter needs to be correct.

• dick757

Posted July 06, 2007 - 09:39 AM

Well I ordered a kit from them yesterday, the key switch is right from Honda, so that should be good
They gave me a good deal, and seemed nice, with a 1 year warranty
Of all the places I went, they had parts from all the different places I did research on

Will let you all know the fit and feedback I can give

Once again Thanks for all your help and feedback

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slider BRP

Posted July 11, 2007 - 05:21 AM

sorry i am late on this but dont trust that key switch to much. i just got my 06 xr650r and had the dealership ds the bike for me. i had looked up a bunch of things that i wanted to do and then the mech. there helped me refine my ideas. he told me that the switch is really just extra weight. the average person would not know that the key switch can just be unpluged and the bike will then start. i have not seen this for myself but he did talk me away from getting it. If you would let me know if it works or not would be app. i like the idea still cause it would turn most people away cause they dont know.

• ThunderChicken

Posted July 11, 2007 - 07:49 AM

sorry i am late on this but dont trust that key switch to much. i just got my 06 xr650r and had the dealership ds the bike for me. i had looked up a bunch of things that i wanted to do and then the mech. there helped me refine my ideas. he told me that the switch is really just extra weight. the average person would not know that the key switch can just be unpluged and the bike will then start. i have not seen this for myself but he did talk me away from getting it. If you would let me know if it works or not would be app. i like the idea still cause it would turn most people away cause they dont know.

Tweekers can't start BRPs. :thumbsup:

• dick757

Posted July 12, 2007 - 03:22 AM

Well they threw in the key switch for free, so all is good that way
I will let you know
I was also thinking about hiding a teather switch on the bike somewhere as a back up, were a person might not find it
What do you think of that idea--good--bad
Still got another week before the kit comes in
Derick

• AEmedic

Posted March 14, 2008 - 07:12 PM

I know this is an old post, but I wonder how the kit turned out. Would you do it again?
I am going to DS my bike, MT gave me the plate without checking but I want it right and I won't pay the BD premium...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 14, 2008 - 11:15 PM

I had poor results with Dual Sport America's parts quality, service, and attitude.
Never again.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.