flywheel / magneto coming apart?

4 replies to this topic
  • FLjoyride

Posted June 29, 2007 - 05:54 PM

I went to install a zipty flywheel weight today and when I was cleaning the oil from the inside of the magneto the inside spun.. I was thinking that's weird so I spun it more and more until the magnets seperated from the flywheel.. I am assuming that this is a press fit and somehow it came apart?? I cans see where it had been wearing on the stator a bit.. so I stuck it back in there and lined up the plastic spacers where they should be.. tapped it in with a rubber mallet and tried spinning it again.. didnt. I know I should probably get a new flywheel now but it runs fine. Oh and the lip on the magnet assembly is being held in by the zipty flywheel weight bolts.

• grayracer513

Posted June 29, 2007 - 06:46 PM

I can't imagine what you're describing, exactly. I think I'd have to see it. But in any case, I don't think I'd run it in that condition.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FLjoyride

Posted June 29, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Wish I took pictures while it was apart, I cant get the magnets to come out again. Its basically a sleeve that fits inside the flywheel made up of 4 magnetic strips. apparently the sleeve had slid out and started rubbing on the stator mount (not the coils). I will take it all apart again and take some pictures as soon as I get a new flywheel.

• torqueme

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Take it from someone that has been there, replace the flywheel before it destroys everything associated with the ignition. Had one come apart (magnet seperated from the fwheel) on a sportster & cost me plenty. You can buy the entire fwheel assembly, weight included from zipty. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

• FLjoyride

Posted June 30, 2007 - 10:49 AM

Thanks guys, I will get the flywheel. sucks, but at least I caught it before it did any severe damage.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.