Gearing change for more offroad. 83 XL600r

4 replies to this topic
  • BoyceLaForest

Posted June 29, 2007 - 07:38 AM

Hey everyone, I have a 83 XL600r with stock gearing, it is abit too tall for offroad. It idles at about 5mph and will do 95mph, what gearing can I switch to that will allow it to still go 65mph without being tached out?
Right now in 5th gear it chugs at 55mph, and there is chain slap/bogging at 45mph in 5th.

I am not exactly sure on the gearing now, but I believe its a 15 front 43 back...

• cleonard

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:03 AM

The easy change is to go with a one smaller front.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoyceLaForest

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:04 AM

The easy change is to go with a one smaller front.

I would but the back sprocket is a little worn and I want a new chain anyway, so I want to replace both sprockets&chain..

• InTheDirt

Posted July 01, 2007 - 06:46 AM

I would but the back sprocket is a little worn and I want a new chain anyway, so I want to replace both sprockets&chain..

:thumbsup: So buy new sprockets and chain. Just buy a 14T for the front. Thats what I have been running for mostly woods riding. And it only takes a few minutes to switch to the 15 tooth if you plan on doing a lot of road riding.

• BoyceLaForest

Posted July 01, 2007 - 08:15 AM

:thumbsup: So buy new sprockets and chain. Just buy a 14T for the front. Thats what I have been running for mostly woods riding. And it only takes a few minutes to switch to the 15 tooth if you plan on doing a lot of road riding.

okay awesome, I will do that! Keeping the rear size same new sprocket and buying a 14T front. The next question is, what sprockets to buy? I want something burly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.