YZ exhaust with WR

4 replies to this topic
  • Dan

Posted October 02, 2000 - 03:05 AM

Hey guys,
I just switched from KTM 620 SC 97 to WR 00 and I am very happy with this. Only the point what I want to change is exhaust because the stok one seems to be very ugly. A friend of mine offers me exhaust from his YZ. I red article on Dirt Rider 8/00 and stock YZ exhaust works quite good. But this test was concerned only on YZ.Has anybody experiences with YZ exhaust on WR? How it works and fits with stock WR pipe? What about jetting etc...?
My WR is European model, WR timing,opened air box.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Dan

• mcarp

Posted October 02, 2000 - 06:28 AM

Hi Dan-

I have been running a YZ400 pipe on my '00 WR (WR timed) for about 5 months. Contrary to some other opinions, I believe it increases power all the way around, especially mid0range punch. It also revs slightly faster. With airbox lid off, WB powerfilter, I run a 45PJ and 170-175 MJ, stock needle 4th clip. Depending on temp (altitude 600-1000 feet).

Also the pipe is quiter than most aftermarket pipes, especially at low revs. I do really like the pipe, but haven't compared a similarly setup bike with another pipe.

Last night I changed to YZ timing. From what I have been reading, 175-180 MJ, 48PJ, and stock needle 3rd clip is what is recommend for the '00. We'll see what happens, haven't rode it yet.

BTW, the fit is perfect. You do need a larger washer or two to fit the rear bolt properly.
The unit seems strong and well made. Also considerably lighter than the stock boat anchor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 05, 2000 - 05:03 PM

I ran a 00 YZ400 pipe for several months on my 99WR, power and throttle response were great but was loud. After 3-4 hours of continuous woods riding the sound would begin to pound my body and I decided to to a different set up.

It was great for shorter rides though.

Originally posted by Dan:
Hey guys,
I just switched from KTM 620 SC 97 to WR 00 and I am very happy with this. Only the point what I want to change is exhaust because the stok one seems to be very ugly. A friend of mine offers me exhaust from his YZ. I red article on Dirt Rider 8/00 and stock YZ exhaust works quite good. But this test was concerned only on YZ.Has anybody experiences with YZ exhaust on WR? How it works and fits with stock WR pipe? What about jetting etc...?
My WR is European model, WR timing,opened air box.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Dan

• mcarp

Posted October 05, 2000 - 05:21 PM

I guess the sound doesn't bother me as much.

It seems to be quieter than say the E-series with 10 disks-much less "raspy" yet I know what you mean-it can wear on you after a while.

Still considering you can pick up a YZ pipe for around $100, it's a bargain for performance gains and noise level. And the quality is top notch Yamaha!

I'm sure other pipes beat it in terms of performance at certain RPM's, but overall it's a winner in my book!

• Taffy

Posted October 05, 2000 - 11:19 PM

i don't read the american comics over here in the UK much but i did see that August multi pipe test in DBR (or whichever)& i thought that not one pipe could be said to be better.

one or two pipes appeared to create slightly more torque but nearly all of them appeared to get slaughtered on the top end.

what with the noise it appeared to me that finally after all these years of bolt on power that the OEM pipe was better overall.

Taffy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.