Got my new Ty tank, but.....

2 replies to this topic
  • Vincent

Posted October 05, 2000 - 05:09 AM

First of all...Im home for good from Iceland finally!! :D
Had all my new parts (Scotts damper, Ty tank, DVP needle, IMS seat, etc..) waiting on me. :D :)

The only thing I noticed on the Ty tank is that the finish is nowhere near what you would find on any other aftermarket tank. It has thousands of tiny air bubbles from the pouring process in it, so many that in the sunlight it actually looks like it has a metal flake paint job (my wifes observation). There is a molding line around the top that has been hastily trimmed with a box knife/razor blade obviously, with associated air pits from where the bubbles were sliced open.

My question from others that have this tank...were yours like this too or is my just a poorly manufactured one? The shrouds line up fine and it will work o.k. I think. I'm probably just going to use it as is, but it just bothers me to put something so astetically challenged on my beautiful WR.

I know what your thinking...its just gonna get scratched up anyway, and its a performance item (that is why I'll probably just use it anyway). I just think it should look nicer when you fork out $200 bucks for it. I saw an Acerbis aftermarket tank yesterday and it was flawless in fit and finish.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted October 05, 2000 - 05:21 AM

I can't say that my IMS tank is all that great. Not as bad as what you are referring to however; not a good comparison with say, the stock tank. I can see some of the bubbles you are referring to and the seam around the top of the tank is not very clean.

• Bill

Posted October 05, 2000 - 07:51 AM

"Astetically Challenged" WOW I'm hanging with some smart fellas. I would call it a peice of S%#*!. Give Terry a call, he's a very reasonable guy and may be able to help you out.

Good Luck
Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.