How do you remove a DR.D wet sump

1 reply to this topic
  • GTPREND

Posted June 28, 2007 - 08:21 PM

Hi all,
I juist bought a yz426 engine off of Ebay (yeah I know, I'm taking a chance). So far it looks ok, and about what was advertised. It has a few goodies in it, and low hours. It also has a DR.D wet sump kit installed and I'm wondering what I need to do to remove it (I don't want to change the oil every ride). My bike still has all the existing external frame oil lines. Can I just remove the block off plates on the outside of the engine, or is there something internal to the engine (like a baffle around the oil pump)? Any help would be appreciated. GTP

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamScream

Posted June 28, 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi all,
I juist bought a yz426 engine off of Ebay (yeah I know, I'm taking a chance). So far it looks ok, and about what was advertised. It has a few goodies in it, and low hours. It also has a DR.D wet sump kit installed and I'm wondering what I need to do to remove it (I don't want to change the oil every ride). My bike still has all the existing external frame oil lines. Can I just remove the block off plates on the outside of the engine, or is there something internal to the engine (like a baffle around the oil pump)? Any help would be appreciated. GTP

Nope, you cant just remove the block off plates and hook up the oil lines, there is a plate that goes behind the oil filter.
However, leave the sight glass piece in place that goes where the neutral safety switch would have gone because that is a cool feature (I have it on both of my 426's) it is not a big deal to remove that plate, takes seconds to do it.
Save those block off plugs, they are good to have if you ever need to pull the engine and don't want oil leaking all over the floor.
Although foam ear plugs work just as well.....
What are you going to do with your old engine?.....dibs.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.