Washing my bike with 5 year old son

10 replies to this topic
  • Udo_Reif

Posted September 29, 2000 - 03:21 AM

This saga started about 2 weeks ago when my
helpful son and I were washing my 99 wr.
After washing I didn't have the time to take
a ride as usual. I was out of town for a week. Just couldn't wait to go for a ride when I got back. After trying to start the wr on the 10th time I just knew something dreadful had gone wrong.( my bike always starts on the second kick).Turns out that junior stuck the hose in the exhaust pipe when dad wasn't looking. After about 3 hours I got enough water out and enough gas and spark in to get it running again. After a short 5 min. ride the second problem arose,
my oil breather was foaming at the mouth with what looked like ovalteen or milo milk.
So having all the oil change goodies, I started to change the oil. With all the oil drained, I tried to dry crank as much of this goop as possible out. Next I put everthing back as it should be and went for a short ride. (10 Min.) All now seemed normal. Now after a couple more short rides
the oil breather is back to foaming. (Yuck)
I talked to a guy who suggested running the bike at idle for a few minutes with desiel fuel in the oil system with no oil just fuel?? The only thing I can think of is to
maybe run it with some marvel mystery and then do an oil change?? Got any ideas?? My bike is completly stock from OZ. Go OZ. Question 2: I took the air box cover off and can notice that the bike has more torque than before. (and alot louder) nice sound though, My guess is that it's now running leaner than with the cover on. The question is that when I let off the gas it rumbles a bit like it wants to backfire but never does backfire.

Am I ruining my Yamaha master piece?

------------------
Only american with a WR400 in Borneo.

• Taffy

Posted September 29, 2000 - 03:47 AM

yor bike got a good coating of water all over it's internals. it doesn't want to run with the oil & come out-so it's being forced out a little bit each time.

if you were going to do any damage you will have done it & it's too late. carry on as you are. i used to use some stuff called flushing fluid. try & get some making sure that it is compatible with a synthetic oil. you put it in, run for 10 mins & drop it.

for what my opinion is worth on the jetting i would go up to a 170MJ otherwise you should be OK.

Taffy

• Bryan Bosch

Posted September 29, 2000 - 03:49 AM

Great story! Sorry to laugh however; I can picture your 5 year holding the hose with a smile as he inserts the hose into your pipe! Good luck! :)

• Udo_Reif

Posted September 29, 2000 - 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Taffy:
yor bike got a good coating of water all over it's internals. it doesn't want to run with the oil & come out-so it's being forced out a little bit each time.

if you were going to do any damage you will have done it & it's too late. carry on as you are. i used to use some stuff called flushing fluid. try & get some making sure that it is compatible with a synthetic oil. you put it in, run for 10 mins & drop it.

for what my opinion is worth on the jetting i would go up to a 170MJ otherwise you should be OK.

Taffy

Thanks for the reply Taffy. Will a 170 mj richen the mixture?

• Rick_Graham

Posted September 29, 2000 - 04:31 PM

Udo Reif,
my son helped me wash my truck at about the same age with just about the same results. He announced to mom how he filled up the gas tank for dad.......hmm, asked him to show me where he put the hose and he filled my exaust plumb full with water! I grabbed my keyes and she fired rite up blowing a 2" diamiter stream of water about fourty feet. I watched him a little closer after that. I'm glad your bike seems to run ok,short of the water oil problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 29, 2000 - 06:05 PM

My 8 year old nephew did the same with his mom's car after he and his dad had been washing it..... good thing there is a 20" rise up to the exhaust manifold.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 29, 2000 - 06:36 PM

Udo, Sounds like you need to change your oil after every ride for a little while should clear up though. I happened to lay my KTM two smoker over in a stream after pumping the water out of the cylinder and changing the oil the bike never ran the same again. good luck

• Dougie

Posted October 01, 2000 - 07:24 AM

My father in law totally submerged his XR600 in a lake last year and filled it up with water. He made the mistake of immediately trying to start it and turned his oil to milk of magnesia.

After a while it wouldn't start anymore. He was told he would have to keep changing the oil out until it finally cleared up BEFORE his next ride.

So we took it to a steep hill in the mountains to get it push started and changed the oil out about 6 times before it looked good again and then 2 more times to be safe. He has had no problems since this. Always starts on the third kick (well he is 63 years old :))

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400 with a lot of dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make me a better rider extra mods.
(Except the dampner :D)

• Heywood

Posted October 03, 2000 - 08:59 AM

Aren't kids great! My buddy did something similar when he was a yard ape. He decided to play gas station and filled the tank of his dad's car with water.....

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 05, 2000 - 08:32 PM

An underwater XR?... How about crazy ice racers?

I showed up at one of our local lake ice-racing practice track here 2 February's ago without my bike to see what was going on.

Despite the recently warm weather these 4 guys were intent on riding enough that they had gone to the local Harley dealer and gotten three 8 foot long bike pallets and nailed them together to get out onto safe ice.... there was 20 feet of open water at the shore.

One guy had gone home to get a different bike (an XR600) and showed up shortly after I did.... I sat in my truck and watched him attempt to push the bike across this 24 foot long 36" wide bridge..... He had gotten about 6 feet from the ice when the ice the bridge was sitting on gave way and he let go of the bike and scrambled for the ice, making it while getting wet up to his thighs..... the bikes handlebars disappeared into 8 foot deep water.

So now 3 bikes and 4 guys were stranded on the ice.... I spent a while moving the bridge around and got it to where they could use it again to get off.... and they all did, though they were all wide eyed coming across.

Then I went out with a 30 foot rope tied to a tie down and went 'fishing' for the XR by tossing the tiedown hook end over the bike and hooked something solid after a while.... the guy's on shore had the other end of the rope and the three of them hauled the drowned XR to shore (it had been under for an hour by now)

He took it home and drained the gas tank, carb and oil and dried out the air filter and was riding it again next weekend.

The guy with the XR is 58 years old and retired from GM!... and one of the other guys had just finished the season as the 10th placed AMA Pro dirttracker.

I had figured the ice wasn't safe enough... I guess I'm a wuss!

• James_Dean

Posted October 05, 2000 - 08:47 PM

Great Story :D :D :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.