best gear combo for so-cal tracks

3 replies to this topic
  • Slinkyman16

Posted June 28, 2007 - 05:36 PM

Simple ? is a 51t rear to big for so-cal high desert tracks? im having problems clearing jumps after turns due to the lower gear i have to run during the corner, as well as having to shift right before i hit the rev limiter. should i bump it up to a 51 or 50.. i ride racetown 395 and comp edge. bike is a stock 07 450

Posted June 28, 2007 - 06:08 PM

definately put the 50 on ,51 is way wrong for the dez!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThompsonV311

Posted June 28, 2007 - 07:48 PM

I ride Comp Edge, 395, and Adelanto Motorplex. I found a 51 tooth on my track wheels is perfect for those tracks. I have no problem clearing any of the jumps except the Big Triple stepup at 395. But that is not because of gearing it is because a lack of nuts! Out in the Desert I run either 49 or 50.

• Ranger18

Posted June 29, 2007 - 06:29 AM

I'd go to a 50. You shouldn't really have any problems with comp edge, there is plenty of room in front of the jumps to get the speed, plus they have nice big turns so you can carry your speed out of the corners. Racetown on the other hand does have jumps that are too close to the turns, and their corners, berms don't allow the average rider enough room to keep alot of their speed. That combined with the fact that half of their jump lips are not steap enough makes for a difficult ride.

P.S. I love that step up at racetown, plenty of room to get speed, I actually have to cruze a little otherwise :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.