Can't quite get the jetting right on the XR600

5 replies to this topic
  • pd10913

Posted June 28, 2007 - 10:56 AM

I have made a few mods to my 98' Xr600, ie FMF Powercore 4 pipe, snorkel removed etc and I've tried various jet setups and at the moment the 158/68 seems to work pretty well but when your let off the gas it hesitates and continues revving for a second before dropping down.

Does this mean the mj might be a bit too big?

• Kawabuggy

Posted June 28, 2007 - 11:01 AM

I am currently running the same set-up-68S pilot & 158MJ, and before I lost 4th gear-the jetting seemed to be perfect. I am going to step up to a 160 MJ after I repair the trans just to see what happens. Where is your needle set-which clip position? What type of air cleaner?

• pd10913

Posted June 28, 2007 - 11:13 AM

needle in 3rd clip and stock air filter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted June 28, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Does this mean the mj might be a bit too big?

Yes, this usually is what it means. Try a 155 and see of it helps any. Get a jet from the same mfg as made the 158 that you have now. There can be differences between jets with the same number, but from different mfgs.

• FZ1426

Posted June 28, 2007 - 07:50 PM

You have to get rid of the stock filter and backfire screen as well.

• Kawabuggy

Posted June 29, 2007 - 05:33 AM

I would say to change the air filter BEFORE you change the jet again! If it is running just a tad rich right now, going with a UNI filter will lean it out a little bit.

Purchase/install a UNI air filter, then see if the problem goes away. I have the UNI, and with the same MJ, I am NOT rich. My spark plug after a full throttle run is a nice caramel color.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.