WR400F fork 43mm or 46mm?

5 replies to this topic
  • Henry

Posted October 01, 2000 - 09:51 PM

Hi folks, I have been bottoming my 98WR400F at mx track reguarly,both front and rear.
Thinking of changing the fork spring to stiffer rate.(or maybe revalve)
Mine should be the OZ version, come with lighter spring rate.
I weight about 130lbs, intermediate and a aggressive jumper.
I need you guys suspension expert out there
for advice.
Thanks! :)

------------------
'98 WR400F, YZ timed, main:180, pilot:48, DVR needle 4th clip from top,
snorkel removed, YZ tank/seat combo, YZ front no.plate/rear fender,
DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake,steel braided hose, EZ clutch adjust perch,
Stroker billet rear brake reservoir

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 02, 2000 - 08:06 AM

First of all do you really weigh only 130lbs. Or is this a mistake in the conversion process. 130lbs - you must be only 5'5" and skinny as a rail.

If this is the case you may be able to keep the stock springs (euro are .42?) US are .46 and just revalve. The .46 are fine for intermediate and larger size guys. The problem up front is the lack of dampening.

Definelty revalve and please recalculate your weight. Or maybe you should eat lots of donuts, works for me.

• Scott_F

Posted October 02, 2000 - 08:07 AM

Your forks are 46mm. You're kind of light to be bottoming your forks, but I understand. I am 165 and bottomed my YZF forks badly until I modified them with bottoming cones. Try springs and higher oil if so inclined.

Scott F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 02, 2000 - 10:00 AM

Do you mean 43 or 46 mm on the fork size or are you asking whether you should go to the (.46kg/mm)? fork springs or the .43?

I think your question was asked incorrectly. If you truly weight 130lbs, most suspension experts would recommend the .43 spring or even the stock euro. of .42 I think (that's my best guess)

• Henry

Posted October 02, 2000 - 04:55 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
I weight 60kg = 130lb(correct?)
height = 175cm = 5'74"(correct?)
So my WR400 fork is 46mm.
So do you guys suggest I change my spring and revalve? think mine is euro version which come with lighter spring.
But seiously, I'm a aggressive jumper who bottom my WR with my main frame paint all been scrape of after the hard impact on the ground.
John>> No matter how I eat, I'm born skinny it just a waste of food. :)

------------------
'98 WR400F, YZ timed, main:180, pilot:48, DVR needle 4th clip from top,
snorkel removed, YZ tank/seat combo, YZ front no.plate/rear fender,
DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake,steel braided hose, EZ clutch adjust perch,
Stroker billet rear brake reservoir

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 03, 2000 - 07:41 AM

The problem up front is the dampening. Only the rear needs a new spring. With your weight you can probably use the stock spring.

If you are an aggressive jumper, you need to revalve. Yes going with a higher fork oil level will improve things (but not enough for serious jumping). But if you go with a stiffer spring without revalving this will not improve things. It may actually make things worse.

You will need to bring the forks into somebody who can change the valving, ask them what they would recommend for springs.

When I used to jump, (even after I raised my fork oil level to 100mm), it used to feel like I landed in quick sand. On larger jumps it was like somebody hit me in the stomach every time I landed. Then I got the bike revalved. Huge improvement. I was clearing 40' table tops with little pounding, and when I hit the landing cleanly, it's like "Butta".

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.