factory connection

3 replies to this topic
  • Hot Rod Todd

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:59 PM

i had just had my rear suspension re-built, re-valved and new spring put on my '03 from factory connection over in quebec. i used to work in a bike shop here in pemberton bc, and we were always sending f/c our rebuild work, but down their shop in cali. always with good feed back and great service. so i thought this time i would keep it in canada and send my unit to f/c’s new shop here in quebec. i spent $500 in labor, oils and parts and then $50 each way for shipping. $600 (ouch!). i had a lot of other work done to the bike as well, and was not able to get riding until may long weekend. may 18th i think!?! 8 - 10 rides and i'm loving it. the rear end is perfect right out of f/c's box. no bottoming and smooth as butter. i'm 220lbs, and i felt 180 again! with the combo of the re-build, re-valve and new spring f/c hit the nail on the head. the $600 was well spent.
but...... june 21st, 10 small local rides, only few hours each, and less the 20hrs on my completely rebuilt bike; from front shocks, new bearings all the way around, all new top end with new valves, springs,piston, rings, yz exhaust, chain, everything. all done by myself. thousands spent on parts, and all the time over the winter dreaming about one day having everything put back together and riding again (everyone here knows what i'm talking about, or should i say; dreaming about), and what do i see - a oil puddle under my bike. ahhhhhhhh.
no big deal right! everything was running great. maybe it is a loose engine bolt, or gasket, easy repair right! nope. my new rear end has the leak. the only thing I didn’t do myself and the only thing I thought would not fail me. from factory, the rear-end has never leaked before, and if there was a problem on the inside of shock, f/c probably would have caught it. right! no?
anyways - long story short, 20hrs new suspension, leaking, now off the bike and in the mail back to quebec (other side of country), at least 2weeks rtn. f/c says they will replace anything at their cost if they find it was their mistake, and cover the shipping.
the down time is the worst thing to live with right now, and the possibility that this rear-end is going to cost me more than $600. i am not rich, and far from it. i always try and buy performance parts that will work for me, and not scared to spend for quality. but will this leak again?
anyone else with a f/c suspension? anyone with a leaked rear-end? why would mine leak? thinking of buying a spare from ebay. will a '03 yz fit a wr? part numbers are different but i think they may be the same in size and probably could fit my '03 wr.
pls, comments welcome!

• powellr

Posted August 21, 2007 - 05:45 PM

That's a bummer, I'm planning on sending my suspension out to FC this winter. I have an '03 WR250F and I swapped the suspension from an '03 YZ450F onto my bike. I weigh about the same as you and it turned out the YZ450F suspension is sprung heavier for the heavier/more powerful bike. The spring rates are perfect for 220 - 230 lb. rider. Only problem is they're valved for motocross and I ride mainly trails and rocky technical. In your case I would look for WR450F suspenders to keep as a spare, but the YZ suspension is a good alternative and probably easier to find online. 03-05 should be a direct fit on all the YZ/WR models. 06 came with new suspension I believe. Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hot Rod Todd

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:10 PM

hey there powellr. i had forgotten that i needed to update my last post. but as it turned out, i somehow jammed a small chunk of rock up into my shock sleeve, and it scratched the seal and the cylinder. the guys at f/c where great. they said they were able to do a good job polishing out the scratch on the cylinder, and installed a new seals. But they also told me that it still could leak, but seemed fairly confidant that will hold. all costs were taken care of by f/c and rtned by courier. Mike Haist - gm canada, said that they see maybe one or two rear shocks a year that get damaged the same as mine did, and its very rare. either way, after i got the rear-end back on my bike and onto the trails it was awesome! (been riding everyday since and I guess that’s my excuse for not updating. lol.) i will be sending my front off to them this winter and i do recommend factory connection. great work and, great customer service. I loooooove dirtbike’n! todd.

• powellr

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:36 PM

If you're looking for a replacement rear shock (to keep as a spare) I have an extra one off a YZ450 that I won on Ebay (now I have three). I'd sell it for $100 plus shipping. Let me know.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.