Worn Out Tire?

34 replies to this topic
  • SDMatt

Posted July 07, 2007 - 08:34 AM

JSan! My lord! That tire is one of the worst/most worn that I have seen! I live in San Diego and enjoy riding single track up north and Baja(staying away from the dirt rodes) to the south during the summer. I have been sticking to the Maxxis Desert IT front and backs. From my experience, Maxxis seem to last longer and don't 'chunk' as easily as the Dunlops.

• CaseyWR450

Posted July 07, 2007 - 10:36 AM

Just wondering what everyone thought. This is my stocker 756 with 1000 mi on it. Trying to find a consensus or how far most are running their tires down. I have a new tire waiting, but just wondering. I noticed tonight I was finally getting a lot of tire spin when it should have been hooking up. Well what do you think.[IMG]http://http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/7561000mi3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/7561000mi2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/7561000mi1.jpg[/IMG]:thumbsup: :busted: :thumbsup:

Wow I cant believe it lasted that long. You definetly need a new tire.

• crooks420

Posted July 07, 2007 - 10:53 AM

The 756 is a softer compound tire, so it does grip better. The wear factor sucks though. I air my 739 up to about 28, and 25 up front..... works great for me, and you minimize pinch-flats. Tire choice becomes very subjective, depending on what type of terrain you ride.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 07, 2007 - 01:21 PM

JSan! My lord! That tire is one of the worst/most worn that I have seen! .

That tire was off my TT-R. I expect to get 300 miles (if that) out of a rear on my WR simply because the bike has alot more power.

I should have replaced the tire I posted at 800 miles but I'm a cheap bastard

• ARin

Posted July 07, 2007 - 02:13 PM

im really surprised that everyone is surprised at that tire.

in the cooler months when we ride 2-3 times a week in this rocky Nevada terrain, tires begin to look like that after two weeks. And we will keep wearing them until they literally give ZERO dirt traction......its the only way to keep from spending ALL of your money on tires. makes you a better rider too.....because you learn to cope.

Then when you finally put on that new knobby.....it makes you feel like a pro.

• Merlin450

Posted July 07, 2007 - 04:29 PM

The 756 is a softer compound tire, so it does grip better. The wear factor sucks though. I air my 739 up to about 28, and 25 up front..... works great for me, and you minimize pinch-flats. Tire choice becomes very subjective, depending on what type of terrain you ride.

I run 10 - 12 up front and 8 - 10 in the rear, never had pinch flat. I ride a varied type of terrain from rocks to mud and the 756 lasted about 400 miles with center tread about 1/8" deep. A heavy right hand and aggressive riding doesn't help either.

• dl19

Posted July 08, 2007 - 11:00 AM

The Maxxis seems pretty good so far, but need more miles to really find out. I used to run 12F and 10-12R depending on Terrain. Got a few pinch flat at 12 or under on the rear now run 15F and no less then 15R. Our country literally goes from fire roads, river rock, broken granite, then to even lava or basalt rock. Just yesterday left on nice packed county road, a old dirt jeep road, to a river rock trail. So I just run what will be best for the worst and live with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crooks420

Posted July 08, 2007 - 11:37 AM

I run 10 - 12 up front and 8 - 10 in the rear, never had pinch flat. I ride a varied type of terrain from rocks to mud and the 756 lasted about 400 miles with center tread about 1/8" deep. A heavy right hand and aggressive riding doesn't help either.

I used to run those pressures, but too many pinch-flats, then a friend told me to air-up to about 28 front and rear..... no problems since. I think speed+rocks= flats.

Jesse

• andy4157

Posted July 20, 2007 - 05:11 PM

I agree with ARin...that tyres got loads of life in it!

Do your bit for Global Warming and keep the tyre untill you've got about 2mm left

• gelean01

Posted July 21, 2007 - 05:19 PM

I also agree that you should run your tire longer. The global warming thing! "IT'S REAL". I say you should probably turn it around for more traction and use it for for at least a couple more rides. My tire is also pretty beat, although it felt the same for quite some time now and not unless your going to change it after every couple of rides, I can't believe that it would be beneficial for us regular riders to buy a new tire after every weekend of riding. Just my opinion!

• ARin

Posted July 26, 2007 - 12:42 AM

every time i think that i need a new this or that, i just think back to pioneer folks like Malcolm Smith, and how he raced and won on bikes that cant do HALF of what my bike can, and on tires that arent half as good as what ive got.

this tends to keep me satisfied every time i am itching to drop money on the latest doo-dad. Keeps me focused on improving my technique, and not just my hardware.

• ISBB

Posted July 26, 2007 - 04:02 PM

ya, me cheep too. just to prepare myself for some long rides. I needed to be able to remove a tire by myself with the motion pro tire irons. well getting back to the subject, I turned my tire around once and got 2-more rides out of it. Local so cal deserts could make you replace a tire after every two rides, pretty harsh stuff. new tire ever 2-rides? not in my budget$:excuseme:

Try dumont. I was wasting a paddle and tube every trip out for half a season... i couldnt figure out WTF the problem was... New rim locks new rim strips new tubes and tires yet i still kept popping tires... went with new motion pro rimlocks and a 4mm thick bridgestone ULTRA heavy duty tube... and problem solved. Now i wear a paddle out normally... 1 season :D Those thin cheap tubes cost me more in the long run that paying the extra 10 bucks for the ultra heavy duty sucker. ohh well..

• ISBB

Posted July 26, 2007 - 04:03 PM

every time i think that i need a new this or that, i just think back to pioneer folks like Malcolm Smith, and how he raced and won on bikes that cant do HALF of what my bike can, and on tires that arent half as good as what ive got.

this tends to keep me satisfied every time i am itching to drop money on the latest doo-dad. Keeps me focused on improving my technique, and not just my hardware.

I dont spend unless its necessary. well except for today.. i splurged on a iron man sprocket for my wr. :D

• Gadsen

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:52 PM

Just wondering what everyone thought. This is my stocker 756 with 1000 mi on it. Trying to find a consensus or how far most are running their tires down. I have a new tire waiting, but just wondering. I noticed tonight I was finally getting a lot of tire spin when it should have been hooking up. Well what do you think.[IMG]http://http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/7561000mi3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/7561000mi2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/7561000mi1.jpg[/IMG]:thumbsup: :thumbsdn: :excuseme:

Well, on motorcylce tires, I consider 20% to be equivalent to bald. It looks like you are less than half, about 40%, so 20% left. I got almost 700 miles on mine, so you have done well. I replaced mine with the IRC M5B, in 130/80-18 (the 140/80-18 one would fit easily by the way) and it has to be the biggest, meatiest tire I've seen. Had one on my old WR426F and like it. Less money than the Dunlop 756 also. Now I have to learn to ride the bike all over. No slip, just wheel climb. :thumbsup:

• xr250ryder

Posted July 29, 2007 - 10:03 AM

Dang, I run my tires till their completely bald. I think when its bald it helps improve your riding skills because the back end tends to whip out all the time. But hey I'm 17 and my budget isn't huge. :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.