Worn Out Tire?

34 replies to this topic
  • dl19

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:17 PM

Just wondering what everyone thought. This is my stocker 756 with 1000 mi on it. Trying to find a consensus or how far most are running their tires down. I have a new tire waiting, but just wondering. I noticed tonight I was finally getting a lot of tire spin when it should have been hooking up. Well what do you think.[IMG]http://http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/7561000mi3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/7561000mi2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z243/trailertrash701/7561000mi1.jpg[/IMG]:thumbsup: :busted: :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:28 PM

I need a better profile shot to be sure, bit it looks like the center lugs are pretty well gone. When in doubt, re-shoe her...SC

• dl19

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:32 PM

Better? The center lug with the groove will be "no grove" in the next 200 miles.
Posted Image

• clark4131

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:33 PM

That's a throw away for me...SC

• Bamster

Posted June 28, 2007 - 10:06 AM

That tire was done 400 miles ago.

• WGP

Posted June 28, 2007 - 11:48 AM

I run my rear down more than that (unless I'm racing ofcourse) but I'm a cheap person. Always trying to save money.
Personally, I would do another 1 or 2 rides on that thing...

Now the front tire is something different, and I don't mess around with a worn front.

• creeker

Posted June 28, 2007 - 11:53 AM

That's about as far as I go on a tire... change it out.

• Dube2

Posted June 28, 2007 - 12:09 PM

ya, me cheep too. just to prepare myself for some long rides. I needed to be able to remove a tire by myself with the motion pro tire irons. well getting back to the subject, I turned my tire around once and got 2-more rides out of it. Local so cal deserts could make you replace a tire after every two rides, pretty harsh stuff. new tire ever 2-rides? not in my budget$:thumbsup:

• kevinwr450f

Posted June 28, 2007 - 01:04 PM

How long should a new tire last? I ride dirt and grass with an occasional road crossing. Pretty hard on the throttle. Please advise.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 28, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Better? The center lug with the groove will be "no grove" in the next 200 miles.
Posted Image

WOW you need to get on the throttle more man! I can make the rear on my TT-R look worse that in 1000 dirt miles, and its a gutless put put bike :thumbsup:

Just messin with ya man, that tire needs to go:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted June 28, 2007 - 01:26 PM

How long should a new tire last? I ride dirt and grass with an occasional road crossing. Pretty hard on the throttle. Please advise.

It all depends on the rider, soil conditions, and throttle usage.

A cow trailer could probably get 2000 miles out of a rear tire, A racer would smoke one in about 200.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 28, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Posted Image
Dunlop 952 w/1100 miles. Next time out I'm finding a concrete pad and smoking it till it pops :thumbsup: The stock D739 looked worse with 1000 miles on it...

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 28, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I run my rear down more than that (unless I'm racing ofcourse) but I'm a cheap person. Always trying to save money.
Personally, I would do another 1 or 2 rides on that thing...

Now the front tire is something different, and I don't mess around with a worn front.

:thumbsup:

If its still working to your satisfaction, then keep riding on it. If you got 1000 miles out of the stocker, then you obviously ride like someone who has good common sense! (or you don't ride out in the socal desert too much)

I too am terrified of the front not hooking up. That would be painful.:thumbsup:

• BOBR

Posted June 28, 2007 - 02:29 PM

Posted Image
Dunlop 952 w/1100 miles. Next time out I'm finding a concrete pad and smoking it till it pops :thumbsup: The stock D739 looked worse with 1000 miles on it...

Wow I would have thrown that tire away long ago.

With the deserts out here and the way I ride (I guess) I wear the side knobs out as fast as the center. So keeping a tire that long in my mind would be a bit dangerous.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 28, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Wow I would have thrown that tire away long ago.

Im ordering new tires today

• dl19

Posted July 05, 2007 - 10:11 PM

Put another 150 on it and just mounted up the new Maxxis IT Desert. I won't wait so long next time. I did not realize how much it was wore down compared to a new tire. Some say the Maxxis is hard to to mount, but it was not harder then the Dunlop. Posted Image

• ARin

Posted July 06, 2007 - 03:27 PM

i like to save those kind of worn out tires for Moab trips.
Moab is gonna kill a brand new tire anyhow, and you will get traction on the sandstone with or without new knobs.

• crooks420

Posted July 06, 2007 - 04:58 PM

I like to ride single track and the San Bernardino mountains.... trails litered with roots, rocks and water crossings and hill climbs. So I love new tires; you cant put a price on great traction, being able to hit the M. Smith trail or John Bull without stopping or getting stuck. The Maxxis is a great tire, so is the Dunlop 739. A friend of mine is expirimenting with a trials tire on his WR450, we'll see how that goes. Last ride out, he seemed to have more trouble than usual..... the tire? Or does he need to learn how to ride with a trials? we shall see.
OH, and while you are at it, if you have 1000 mi on the rear, you should replace the front too. You will notice the increased traction/ stability.

Jesse

• dl19

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:04 PM

Crooks...compared to the new Dunlop 756 front the 739 totally sucked for me. Yes it seemed to wear good, but traction was poor with easy wash out compared to the 756. A friend switched to a Dunlop Trials on his DRZ400 S or E (street legal) and it is amazing. My WR has a lot more power then the DRZ, but his tire is wearing great and it has way more traction with good handling.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:14 PM

A friend switched to a Dunlop Trials on his DRZ400 S or E (street legal) and it is amazing. My WR has a lot more power then the DRZ, but his tire is wearing great and it has way more traction with good handling.

Trials tires get great traction at slower speeds, but IMHO they handle fast fireroads kinda "squishy". Especially if there is a trials tire in the front too. You get the sensation of the tire rolling over and the steering is all over the place.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.