Taken apart anyway...

6 replies to this topic
  • responding

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Well, I kinked my back rim severely a couple of weeks ago, so I headed to the Thumpertalk store. Of course, I started thinking about why it happened, and by the time I left, I had purchased new springs front and rear, a jd jet kit, fastway lowboy pegs, a new rim for the back, and new spokes. (by the way, i bought a spoke wrench, and it turns out one came with the spokes, so now I have two :thumbsup: ) Anyway, a quick rim replacement turned into a complete teardown, with nothing but a frame and engine left on my milk crate in the garage. So, here's my question...
I installed the JD Jet kit, and while I have the carb out, I'd like to know if there are any other mods I should do. I can't say that it ran bad before the teardown, but to me it felt more like a 250 than a 426. It just didn't have it when I needed it. Any other suggestions for things I should do while the bikes apart? I can't afford a pipe right now, and am doing all the regreasing of the linkage and headset. Thanks!

• clark4131

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:29 PM

Valve clearance and a compression leak down test...SC

• GCannon

Posted June 28, 2007 - 08:55 AM

Search "BK MOD" if you have modification fever this is a reasonablly easy mod that will give you crisper acceleration. Jetting adjustments will be necessary after this mod.

Get all your service items (valve adjustment, clean carb, oil,airfilter) done before final carb tuning.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 28, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Well, I kinked my back rim severely a couple of weeks ago, so I headed to the Thumpertalk store. Of course, I started thinking about why it happened, and by the time I left, I had purchased new springs front and rear, a jd jet kit, fastway lowboy pegs, a new rim for the back, and new spokes. (by the way, i bought a spoke wrench, and it turns out one came with the spokes, so now I have two :thumbsup: ) Anyway, a quick rim replacement turned into a complete teardown, with nothing but a frame and engine left on my milk crate in the garage. ...

Dude... back away from the tool box! You're outta control!

• responding

Posted June 28, 2007 - 04:40 PM

LMAO... yeah, I guess I'm a little out of control. I looked at the BK Mod, and I think I'll do that, but after I get the bike back together, so I can really test the result. I have decided on a new clutch (debating the recluse), and I will do the leak-down test. I got this bike about six months ago, and the paint wasn't even worn off the frame by the pegs (is now though), so I suspect it'll read real good. Otherwise, I've done the normal maintainance.
Is there any other carb mods that may be worth doing? How about suspension, and chassis? I'm pretty new to the four strokes, so any advice would be great! Thanks

• GCannon

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:26 AM

Respring and Revalve the suspension you will be so happy!! the forks really need it.
If you need help call Tom at fineline I think he is in St George. http://www.finelines...n.com/index.htm
Don't forget to give tom's wife Ginger a small box of Chocolates you will make a friend for life.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :busted:

• responding

Posted June 30, 2007 - 04:12 PM

Great! I've got the springs in, but I'll get in touch with them, and they'll be revalving before too long. Thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.