2003 WR450F idle speed

8 replies to this topic
  • alaskaayers

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I have a 2003 WR450 that I just recently bought (took it out for the first ride last Monday here in Alaska). I love it, but one thing I would like to tweak is the idle speed. I found myself fiddling with the idle adjustment all day because I couldn't find a speed where the bike would idle at a low enough rpm for downhill braking and not die when I stopped. It seems like the bike hunts for the correct idle speed quite a bit. Any help would be appreciated.

• dl19

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:20 PM

Adjust your air screw. I prefer mine a little fast so it does not stall so often and saves on the clutch.

• clark4131

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:24 PM

A hanging/hunting idle is often a symptom of a lean pilot circuit. The first thing I'd is make sure you have a 48 in there if you're below 4000' elevation. I run a SenDec tach/hour meter so I know where my idle sits...usually around 1800. Also, don't try adjust your air screw since you don't have one. The fuel screw however, may also help fine tune things :thumbsup:...SC

• AkRider

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Where are you at in Alaska? I am in Eagle River.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • alaskaayers

Posted June 27, 2007 - 11:16 PM

I'm in Anchorage. We just went riding on Permanente trail Monday. It was absolutely gorgeous.

• ccoates445

Posted June 28, 2007 - 09:38 PM

A hanging/hunting idle is often a symptom of a lean pilot circuit. The first thing I'd is make sure you have a 48 in there if you're below 4000' elevation. I run a SenDec tach/hour meter so I know where my idle sits...usually around 1800. Also, don't try adjust your air screw since you don't have one. The fuel screw however, may also help fine tune things :thumbsup:...SC

If the pilot is the right size you may want to just give the entire carby a good douche as you never know how the previous owner may have neglected things. Cheers

• AkRider

Posted June 29, 2007 - 09:27 PM

I have never ridden there. I am going to Sutton on Sunday. PM if you want to go.

• Thumper_426

Posted June 29, 2007 - 11:36 PM

Hey another Alaskan rider, awesome! I'll be going w/AKRider also, for sure go if you can, should be a blast. Welcome to ThumperTalk.
Mark

• alaskaayers

Posted July 01, 2007 - 07:14 PM

I couldn't get things together to go this weekend. Thanks for the invite though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.