I'm embarrassed by my short squirt length

7 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted February 19, 2002 - 10:01 PM

As I get ready to attempt the Taffy Mod, I forgot to ask one question...Why am I shortening the squirt length?

What is the 2 - 3 second squirt robbing me of? How is this bad and why is a shorter squirt length better for my bike? What is the benefit?

Why would it be so long in the first place?

Where do I find these small electric blocks?

Thanks.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Dougie ]

• dieseld

Posted February 19, 2002 - 10:09 PM

Don't know all of the why's other than increased mileage without the long squirt, but I can recommend the 3/32" RC car wheel collar that someone posted about instead of the ground block. This part is a little chrome collar with an allen set screw and cost me $1.35 for a bag of 4. In fact, if you need I'll mail you one now that I have 3 extras, but they should be easy to find at any hobby shop. It fits so well that you would think it is a stock part.

If no hobby stores are around, this wheel collar looks exactly like a drill bit stop, which is easy to find in any hardware store.

Damon

• Taffy

Posted February 19, 2002 - 01:21 PM

your fuel should be broken down or atomised for best burning. a squirt of neat fuel is no good.

it improves MPG. you only need the APJ to cover the delay in time between the air reacting and the fuel reacting. this is less than .5 seconds and only happens in first or second gear.

you only return the throttle to closed in first and second gear.

your bike gets all the fuel it needs after .5 seconds AND in all the other gears.

Taffy

• Dougie

Posted February 20, 2002 - 01:35 AM

So there is no performance increase? Only a MPG gain?

I'll check with my brother in law on that wheel collar. He is a huge RC car enthusiast and probably has one for me.

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted February 20, 2002 - 05:48 AM

you may be under the impression that tuning and MPG are totally seperate. they aren't.

a rich bike or a lean bike use more fuel than a bike that's properly carburated.

a properly carburated bike produces more power and if you are bent on riding at 40mph for instance you will need say, 25bhp. if you now produce that power from a smaller throttle opening you will be saving fuel this way as well.

do you know that i'm the only rider who has even dared to ride without the APJ (gosh
:D :D ) and the bike goes for hours on a whiff of fuel. those poor KTM boys over on orange can't get 60 miles from a tank, then again they steadfastly refuse toi do the "Taff mod" citing teutonic superiority :D :) whankers

Taffy

• The_Missile

Posted February 20, 2002 - 08:39 AM

I beg to differ on the APJ thing Taffy !
Gotcha :)

You are right though in that you get great milage without the APJ...but no oomph as described many times before.

• Scott_F

Posted February 20, 2002 - 08:52 AM

Did you mention it is a Japanese carb? :)

• omnivortex

Posted February 22, 2002 - 04:31 PM

I thought shortening the duration also eliminated the bog when you whack the throttle?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.