Kevin/Taffy - DSP air box quality?

11 replies to this topic
  • imported_Scott_H

Posted September 26, 2000 - 09:44 PM

Kevin/Taffy and any other (newer model?) DSP air box owners,

After a second, closer look tonight, I have noticed a significant amount of small pin-hole sized gaps in between the CF weaves downstream of the air filter sealing surface which will no doubt allow fine dirt/dust particles to enter the carb. I can see the holes (mostly located along the sharp radius curved surfaces) just by looking through the box placed in front of a bright light.

When I first got the box, I tried Clark's recommended method of blocking off the intake boot with a cap from a small aerosol can and fill the box with water to look for any leaks. I was focusing more on the integrity of the seal between the rubber boot and the box and I only had the water level to just above the boot. This seemed to check out just fine. However, filling the box up to the air filter seal tonight has shown many (>20) small pin-hole leaks right though the CF weaves.

This is a big concern to me for a couple reasons. One, I ride in extremely dusty conditions and sometimes through long stretches of silt beds which has a way of getting into everything. The second, is for 425 freaking bones, this air box ought to be perfect.

Have you guys noticed any flaws/leaks along these lines with your boxes?

I also was a little disappointed in the finish on the inside box. There are many very sharp, hardened fibers sticking out which makes it very likely to cut yourself or easily tear the filter. I would expect some level of this with any complex composite lay-up, but my impression is there was absolutely no attempt by DSP to do any de-burring work on the inside of the box. Did you guys notice this with yours?

One other question, the box I have has a much more stock appearing opening, meaning all four sides roll up and transition to the horizontal plain forming an opening about 7.5"x5". This is significantly different from the completely open (~9"x7") design found on the earlier versions of the air box as shown on their web site. http://www.dspracing.com/airbox.cfm My box also did not have the integral fasteners for the left number plate mount and mud guard. Rather it used a simple bolt through design for the guard and utilizes the 6mm spring clip fastener from the stock box for the number plate. Is this the same as yours? I find nothing wrong with this since the installation went on with no problems at all.

Let me know what you guys have found regarding the above questions/concerns.

Something else that’s a bit of an annoyance is I have not been able to easily find DSP’s phone number yet. My one page instruction sheet that came with the box and the web site shows no phone numbers listed to contact them with questions from their customers. I haven’t really pursued this yet and am sure I’ll track one down or someone here will come up with a number for me.

Sorry about all my griping. I’ll gladly pay the two beer “excessive whining penalty" to anyone that agonizingly suffered through my tale of woe here and was offended. I don’t mean to come off that way, I’m just a bit bummed with this part’s lack of quality.

Cheers,
Scott

• Taffy

Posted September 26, 2000 - 10:00 PM

scott if you can't have a gripe on this site, where can you?

i didn't get one because although my business is going well the tax man caught up with me at last.

what i can say is that to make that airbox was just about as cheap as the old fibreglass. here in britian a 1 metre square sheet can be bought for $7.50. it takes perhaps two to make your carbon fibre box.

the fact is simple. your airbox is unusable & you should be given a box that works or a full refund. if water can find the hole with it's oily film stopping it going through the pin holes, what is finite dust going to do!!!!!

so if you wanted some ammo-you got it!

good luck.

Taffy

• imported_Scott_H

Posted September 26, 2000 - 10:14 PM

I just found their phone number in the back of cycle news. I'll be given 'em a call tomorrow.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 27, 2000 - 01:29 AM

Scott,
I have done nothing with my box yet. My bike is still in pieces. I will check it out this morning, though.

PLEASE post your conversation results. $425 is a lot to pay for a top end rebuild PRECURSOR. I have cylinder damage already. I was going for a cylinder re-coat after Moab. I don't want to throw out $250 for an ANNUAL re-coat just for running the DSP box.

------------------
99 WZ, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards. Moab, HERE I COME!!

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 27, 2000 - 08:38 AM

Kevvie,
When are shipping your bike? You're not gonna wuss out are you?

Brian

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 27, 2000 - 09:21 PM

Brian,
Listen here, Pal, I grew up in Minnesota racing motocross. Now what exactly does that mean? First it means I laugh at all weather conditions! Hell, we used to walk uphill (both ways), naked and barefoot in -50F, and 7 feet of snow to school. We wore flannel before the world found out it was cool. I have raced MX in blizzards, droughts, floods, tornados, hurricanes if we had them and tsunami's, anything for the checkerd flag!! I wrecked both knees, both wrists and my back, shattered my front teeth and my ego all for mx, and still I laugh (very easy after my labotomy!). I remember discussing this with Mitch and Bryan long before you were even born, Pal. Heck, you were just a stain in your Dad's underware when I was thinking about riding in Moab! Absolutely nothing will stop me from getting there. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (except if my favorite Brady Bunch re-run is on Nick at Nite, then I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO CANCEL. Alas for poor Yorric, I canceled my cable tv because my girls were being raised by MTV, that plus I needed to pay for all the mods to my bike!). So you see, my dear Brian, my sorry ass will be trucked ALL THE WAY FROM NEW ENGLAND. Why, because I have the willpower, perseverance and stamina that of an Olympic Athlete. I should be out at the summer games kicking ass in the womens badmitten games RIGHT NOW. I could show those chicks a thing or two about badmitten. Those girls would be flailing all over their badmitten courts trying to intercept my 15mph return!

My bike will be at Logan Airport, Boston, Monday morning. It will be in Denver by Thursday AM. My flight lands in Denver at 10:15am Thursday. Bryan will be grabbing, I mean meeting my ass at the airport. I presume we will then head out to grab my Thumper, his Thumper a Sam Adams and head out shortly (??).

See you there, Brian. How dare you think I would back out of this trip.

Question: WILL YOU BE THERE MISTER SMARTYPANTS, OR ARE YOU ALL TALK??

XOXO,

Kevin

DISCLAIMER: I will cancel my trip if ANY Batman and Robin, Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants or Brady Bunch re-runs are on TV the entire week I will be gone.

------------------
99 WZ, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards. Moab, HERE I COME!!

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 09-27-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted September 27, 2000 - 04:26 PM

Scott h and others

What Scott found is exactly what was wrong with my DSP CF air box in fact I loaned my old style box to Scott for comparison. MY carb would get filled with dirt and I finally found the problem the dirt is comming in directly through the weave in front of the filter. Now my box is 18 months old and since I installed a all new top end when I did my 420 kit I will never use this all CF DSP box again.

I'm currently using the DSP box only with the stock rubber boot / filter base and have no dirt problems etc.

Clark

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 28, 2000 - 02:47 PM

Brian Meadows,
Dude,
You do understand you were a victim of my humor...Right?
As sick and unobtrusive as I am, I wanted to be sure you new I was kiddin'. That is the Navy humor that has been drilled into me.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 09-28-2000).]

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 28, 2000 - 05:24 PM

Looked at my DSP box tonight. I can see pin holes in several places throughout my box.

Anyone think of getting some of that rubberized spray paint (or any type of sealing paint) and shooting the inside of the box??

------------------

• Heywood

Posted September 29, 2000 - 02:47 PM

Hey guys:

I wrote them a nasty e-mail over a year ago bitching about their web site. No address, phone number, their order page is not encrypted (secure) and they want you to post your credit card number? They should do better than that.

Also, if I paid over $400.00 for an airbox, I would want it to be complete, not a kit that requires plugging up all of the little holes. Givem hell guys.

• imported_Scott_H

Posted September 30, 2000 - 08:35 AM

I called the DSP boys up. They seemed genuinely concerned and wanted to correct this issues ASAP. They asked me to send them the box and they would inspect it and take any of the following actions. (1) Apply additional coats of resin where needed. (2) Apply additional layers of CF & resin for any areas that have a high density of pinholes. (3) If the box is totally dorked they would replace it.

They did mention that since the resin is clear, you will see some "pinholes" by shining a light through the box. Although this may look bad, the box will normally be air tight. I did notice this was true with my box. Many areas that I saw light in did not leak water. The bottom line is you must do the water test to ensure you don't have any leaks.

Cheers,
Scott

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 30, 2000 - 08:57 AM

Scott,
Excellent job! I did not do the water test on my box. I am finishing my bike today for Moab. It'll have to wait.

Kevin

------------------

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.