New 650L disaster

22 replies to this topic
  • axarob44

Posted June 27, 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hello All, Well heres my first post, and its not a good one. I have been reading here for about a week before if picked up my new 07' 650L. I had one of these before and I really love the bike. Did the first oil change Monday at 100 miles. I pull it out of the garage yesterday and I go to lean the bike on the kick stand and the stand was not down. I punched the shift lever through the left case and dump all the oil on the drive way. SOB!!:thumbsup: I have the parts ordered and here I wait :thumbsup: . Crappy first post. Anyways, just thought I would share my grief. I love the forum and hope to have better things to post about in the future.

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted June 27, 2007 - 01:15 PM

oh THAT SUCKS! sorry to hear that, but many good times ahead!:thumbsup:

• pianoexcellence

Posted June 27, 2007 - 01:23 PM

hang in there

Good times a comin'...:thumbsup:

• zodran

Posted June 27, 2007 - 01:55 PM

Why wait, JB quiksteel and a coin, break it in right.:thumbsup:

• axarob44

Posted June 27, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Why wait, JB quiksteel and a coin, break it in right.

haha! I already thought about doing that!:thumbsup:

I hope I broke the engine in correctly. I didn't ride it hard and I didn't ride wide open either. I've seen so many different methods for breaking in an engine so I kind of chose the middle ground with this one. I changed the oil at 100 miles and plan on doing the 600 mile service. Of coarse I will do all the obligitory modifications after the 600 mile service. The one I had before was a 93' or 94' (can't remember) I hope the service manual is the same. I'm pretty sure they are. Only thing I did to the 93' was a slip on Supertrapp and the carb jetting and it ran like a champ. I hope this turns out to be as reliable as the last one. Andy

ETA: Is there any kind of protection for the side case(left & right) that I can put on to prevent this in the future

• martinfan30

Posted June 27, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I hope I broke the engine in correctly. I didn't ride it hard and I didn't ride wide open either. I've seen so many different methods for breaking in an engine so I kind of chose the middle ground with this one. I changed the oil at 100 miles and plan on doing the 600 mile service. Of coarse I will do all the obligitory modifications after the 600 mile service. The one I had before was a 93' or 94' (can't remember) I hope the service manual is the same. I'm pretty sure they are. Only thing I did to the 93' was a slip on Supertrapp and the carb jetting and it ran like a champ. I hope this turns out to be as reliable as the last one. Andy

ETA: Is there any kind of protection for the side case(left & right) that I can put on to prevent this in the future

dont forget to clean youroil downtube screen!

• Bibleman

Posted June 27, 2007 - 05:30 PM

As far as future protection, I saw a post somewhere showing how a guy JB welded a piece of sheet metal in the appropriate area. He did a nice neat job and it looked OK. That's one solution.

• axarob44

Posted June 27, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Thanks bibleman! I will think about finding a way to do it and make it nice and clean looking if I can.Andy

• Rman of 237

Posted June 27, 2007 - 06:38 PM

Man thats a pretty tough thing to happen right off the bat.:thumbsup:
Sorry to hear,
Rman...

• wheelnut46

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:19 PM

I have a 1/8 inch thick piece of 303 stainless steel that I adhered to my cover using 2 part epoxy. I had it machined at the shop where I work from some old scrap. It fits in that lower recessed area on the stator cover. In the event of a fall I'm hoping that it will distribute the trauma over a wider area and hopefully not break a hole into the cover. #303 SS is plenty strong stuff.

Another idea would be to weld a wide flange onto the back of the shift lever in order to accomplish the same result in the event of a fall.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper245

Posted June 27, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Sorry to hyjack but wheelnut46 could you post a pic of possable of that ss plate. That sounds like a realy good idea and I might have to be a copy cat (if you dont mind)

• axarob44

Posted June 28, 2007 - 09:49 AM

wheelnut46, I too would like to see that if you could. I have a machinist friend that probably could make one also. I was thinking maybe something along the same lines with the plate of sst. I was thinking about maybe put the small plate on with RTV for a little more shock absorption. The guy I know has access to a cnc at his work. If I come up with something I will be sure to post a pic with specs.

• Motosprtman

Posted June 28, 2007 - 11:01 AM

fix it right with the right parts. S*** happens, it will be fine once the parts are replaced and fresh oil added, like new all over again. I have been there - done that.

• COAL RUN

Posted June 28, 2007 - 11:16 AM

I switched to an MSR shifter, much stifer wich makes it a little less likley to hit the case. Also the way the back side of the MSR is shaped (more rounded) in the area where it would hit seems less likly to actually break the case. I also saw the post where the guy glued what looks to be a thin piece of stainless onto the side, looked like added protection to me.

• gabriel

Posted June 29, 2007 - 10:11 AM

first of all, let me tell you, honda metals are as brittle as a meth addicts teeth. Second, this is how I break in my engine:

http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 29, 2007 - 10:28 AM

first of all, let me tell you, honda metals are as brittle as a meth addicts teeth. Second, this is how I break in my engine:

http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm

I wouldn't, but to each his own...

Motodude is the guy who claims that physics works differently for him. For example, expanding gases get behind rings to force them into the cylinder wall.

Well, in my engines, expanding gases exert equal forces in all possible directions, not just magically to "prove" one of my potential theories.

Wear is wear, and occurs due to metal-to-metal contact. There is no "opportunity window" to seating rings. Besides, rings rotate over time and generally do not remain in the just-built position.

The biggest hole I see in his ramblings are the fact that engines are turned, and tested, and run---at the factory. What he preaches about has already occurred by the time you get to start the engine anyway.

Also, race engines aren't used for longevity. Race engine break-in techniques are garbage to me since I desire longevity. Race engine break-in techniques are also proving the engine can operate at the levels you want it to endure---there's not the luxury of time for a formal break-in---if it's going to fail, it will generally fail early, so if it makes it past the initial runs, it's most likely race-worthy. To me this is more for proof the engine will not self-destruct rather than for break-in. These engines are usually torn down soon anyway.

I still want to see an actual scientific approach to his theories, and be able to examine the results of conventional vs the "beat the shit out of it" approach. Until then, it's just hearsay.

• martinfan30

Posted June 29, 2007 - 11:03 AM

i have always used a similar method of breaking in any engine. phuzz, not to start an argument but just for the sake of conversation, your method would be hearsay also?

• XR Twitch

Posted June 29, 2007 - 12:15 PM

That stand is a pile of trash. Don't park it even just a little bit pointing down hill. It will roll right off it, even in gear, unless the piston is at the top of the stroke. Even at that, don't walk away from it long. Mine almost took a dive in the yard ( in 3rd gear ) after about 20 minutes on the stand. Was lucky I was right there.

• goblin127

Posted June 29, 2007 - 07:47 PM

I have taken a section of surgical hose and slit it and safty wired it on the shifter to act as a rubber bumper and has saved me in slow falls so far.

• needsprayer

Posted June 30, 2007 - 05:11 AM

Sorry for your misfortune. Reminds me of the time I stopped in front of my shop and put the kickstand down (XR650R). The ground is usually a firm mix of sand and clay. Well it was the rainy season and the sand was loose. Not wet or sloppy just loose. As I went to get off the bike the kickstand started to sink and the BRP was going down. I did a beautiful leap into a forward roll and got away. Then stood up and looked around to see if anyone saw me.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.