Harbor Freight Tire Changer

17 replies to this topic
  • hill5150

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:59 AM

I broke down and bought one, the removal was fine (front,rear) and the install on the front.But the rear tire is killing me it is a Kenda Challenger 120-90-18, I cant get the final lip over the rim damnit.............

• martinfan30

Posted June 27, 2007 - 10:07 AM

I broke down and bought one, the removal was fine (front,rear) and the install on the front.But the rear tire is killing me it is a Kenda Challenger 120-90-18, I cant get the final lip over the rim damnit.............

maybe try to put downwards pressure on the sidewall oppostie the stubborn bead.

• Motosprtman

Posted June 27, 2007 - 10:39 AM

I wear kneepads and kneel on the opposite side of the tire with one knee while working slowly (with hand tire irons)- inch by inch to get the last bit of tire onto the rim, no problems yet! and I have done aplenty of tire changes. Also use something slippery to help you get it on, I like to use the turtle wax tire black stuff, makes em nice and slippery and also protects the tube.

• hill5150

Posted June 27, 2007 - 11:09 AM

The tire shine sounds like a good idea, I'll have to try that and some patience...............

• walshdanielm1965

Posted June 27, 2007 - 12:29 PM

How much did it cost, if you don't mind?

• dzrtrat1111

Posted June 27, 2007 - 03:36 PM

use windex or soapy water, but before you spray it on. warm the tire up with a blow dryer, or do it on a warm day with the tire out in the sun. it will make it much easier

• black in RI

Posted June 27, 2007 - 03:45 PM

yup make sure you use tire lube or soapy water...
psuh down on the opposite side of the end you are trying to put over teh lip.
you need to get bead into the "valley" so you can get taht extra inch to set the tire in.
make sure you clean the rim with mineral spirits to get a bood bead
make sure you have the rotation of the tire inthe correct orientation
also make sure you fill the tube with abotu 5 psi so you avoid a pinched tube when putting the tire on.
i love my haror freight changer.. cost me 50 $ and has saved me easy 400 $ in tire changing fes.

• pwrpapa

Posted June 27, 2007 - 04:59 PM

I think it's well worth the money. I use tire shine an it slips right on with no trouble.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 27, 2007 - 05:14 PM

I have Harbor Freight tire changer too. You still need to use technique when installing a tire. Make sure that the portion of the tire that is on the rim never rides up into the rim seat. Try to keep the mounted portion of the tire in the center of the rim. This gives you more slack and makes the job fairly easy. I generally have to break the bead off the rim seat a couple times while mounting the rest of the tire over the rim. I also use soapy water or WD40 on the tire bead and baby powder on the tube.

Once you get your technique down you will be glad you bought the tire changer.

P.S. that tire shine idea sounds interesting I will have to give it a shot. So far WD40 works better than anything else I've tried.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • strandman

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Try using a ratchet tie-down around the tire to get the last part on. Cinch it down as tight as you can, and finish it with your tire irons.

• hill5150

Posted June 28, 2007 - 10:26 AM

How much did it cost, if you don't mind?

100 bux at HF direct in Orange, got it on w/ the added help of patience and tire shine, it appears to be a bit wobbly now though, rim lock? need counter balance weights opposite side? It is a street tire.........:thumbsup:

• cumminsman

Posted June 28, 2007 - 12:06 PM

Tire changing isn't hard if you use the right technique. Watch the video link here; there are three vids to complete the tire change. It only takes him about 5 minutes to change this tire and he is taking time to talk about what he is doing. This guy makes it look realy easy but it is a lot easier than you guys are making it sound.

http://www.transworl...1569040,00.html

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 28, 2007 - 02:53 PM

Tire changing isn't hard if you use the right technique. Watch the video link here; there are three vids to complete the tire change. It only takes him about 5 minutes to change this tire and he is taking time to talk about what he is doing. This guy makes it look realy easy but it is a lot easier than you guys are making it sound.

http://www.transworl...1569040,00.html

Basically what those videos showed is what most have been describing here. I did learn one really cool trick from that video. The way he got the valve stem to fall into the hole on the rim was way cool. I have been using a valve stem snake to do mine but I am going to try that cool little trick.

Another thing I noticed on the video is that Kevin Windham uses very soft tires, with very soft sidewalls. That did contribute to the ease of unmounting and mounting the tires. Soft tires or not those are the procedures to use. I liked the easy to understand way he presented everything. I am going to save those movies for future use. Great stuff.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 28, 2007 - 04:25 PM

That transworld vid is humbling to say the least. But I took some notes and noticed something. He uses three or four irons and a bead buddy. Those couple little things make all the difference in the world. I just mounted a Maxxis 110/90-19 on the back of my CRF and it was a piece of cake. The difference? A couple extra irons and a bead buddy.

• Huffa 2

Posted June 28, 2007 - 06:39 PM

I have the HF tire changer too but how do you guys mount it to floor or did you make a platform? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I got it on sale for 40% off. I got it more for ATC tires rather then cycle tires though but would appreciate some mounting suggestions.

I tried lagging it into basement floor and it busted right out of the lags as I was trying to mount a atc tire :busted:

Posted Image

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 28, 2007 - 08:25 PM

I have the HF tire changer too but how do you guys mount it to floor or did you make a platform? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I got it on sale for 40% off. I got it more for ATC tires rather then cycle tires though but would appreciate some mounting suggestions.

I tried lagging it into basement floor and it busted right out of the lags as I was trying to mount a atc tire :busted:

Did you use concrete anchors? http://www.smithfast...ynaboltgold.htm

• Huffa 2

Posted June 29, 2007 - 05:09 AM

Did you use concrete anchors? http://www.smithfast...ynaboltgold.htm

Didn't ever see that kind. THANKS phuzz !

Can I get them at most hardware stores ?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:52 AM

Didn't ever see that kind. THANKS phuzz !

Can I get them at most hardware stores ?

I think most hardware stores such as Lowe's, Builder's Square, Home Depot, etc. would carry them. I bought some 10yrs ago for a big satellite dish at HD, I think.

One caveat with this type of anchor is that when you want to remove them, they are relatively permanent. If the floor was drilled all the way through, you can use a sledge hammer to drive the bolts flush with the floor, and even a heavy duty punch to drive them below the floor surface level if you want to fill in the holes with epoxy or concrete patch. If the holes aren't all the way through, you can cut/grind the bolts down flush with the floor.

Or, just leave the tire changer there for eternity. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.