WRD Flywheel weight – it’s GREAT!!

15 replies to this topic
  • Eric_in_WA

Posted September 24, 2000 - 12:20 PM

Last week I installed a 6 oz WRD flywheel weight. It took a bit of time, but no major problems.

Riding my ’99 WR400 (YZ timed, BigGun SDS exhaust) in the tight rocky hilly stuff is so much easier. Less clutching, almost no stalling, much better low end chug. Why the bike even wheelies easier. How you ask? Less wheelspin and more useful energy application to the ground. The good news is the WR still snaps when I want to go. If you don’t have a flywheel weight and you ride tight stuff or want better tractability get one!!

Eric in WA

• Taffy

Posted September 24, 2000 - 12:33 PM

welcome to the club eric!

for us 'woods' boys this is a must have, mine's got a 10oz stealy & i love it.

Taffy

• Tim_in_WA

Posted September 24, 2000 - 02:13 PM

Eric and Taffy,
I've been thinking about getting one of these for awhile, but still have one big concern. It seems like you might lose some engine compression braking ability. Please tell me I'm wrong........

Tim

• TW

Posted September 24, 2000 - 02:25 PM

No noticeable loss on engine braking. I have the WRD 6 ounce on my 99 WR, excellent mod.

------------------
99 WR400
BRC
NOHVA
AMA

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 24, 2000 - 08:36 PM

Eric
Can you please tell me who manafactures this wrd flywheel weight and where you purchased it from.
Ta Ross

• Eric_in_WA

Posted September 25, 2000 - 10:27 AM

Taffy,
I am glad I am now in the club. I should have joined a long time ago. This is one of the better WR mods available.

Tim,
I did not notice a loss in compression braking.

Ross,
The manufacturer is Works Racing Development in California. They are at 1-805-581-4550. You might also try Baja Designs as a source.

Eric in WA

• Taffy

Posted September 25, 2000 - 01:06 PM

as some of you may know i'm new to the dirt this year & have been learning very very quickly how to ride.

the advantages in gloop & the nadgery are well documented but i've now got another advantage! it just keeps getting better!

yesterday i was hitting flat in top straights down the edge of fields in an enduro. usual story at the 90 degree corners. locked up, backing it in (did kevin shwantz really say that first!) let go of the rear brake & wait for the rear wheel to break away.

what happens instead?

well you get a gentle turning of the rear wheel & the back end just waves around ever so gently. without a flywheel weight the rear wheels speed was zero & the back end was coming bye in double time.

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 26, 2000 - 12:58 PM

Eric
Could you please check on that number for WRD.It comes up engaged all the time.Also any other chaps out there tried any other makes/types and have any comments on ease of installation, price etc

Ta Ross

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueDog

Posted September 26, 2000 - 02:57 PM

This site has Steahly 10 and 12 oz. for $134. I haven't ordered anything from them yet.
http://www.hi-perspo...atalog/dirtbike

• Taffy

Posted September 26, 2000 - 09:49 PM

i have a 10oz stealy which i think the usa would purchase from terrycable. the fit, finish & qualityis excellent-but i got no instructions on how to fit it!

remember your crank weighs lb's so all this ounces stuff is a little bit academic.

Taffy

• Eric_in_WA

Posted September 27, 2000 - 06:25 PM

Ross,

According to the Works Racing Development business card here are the numbers:
1-805-581-4550
1-888-611-1919
Fax: 1-805-581-4554

When I spoke to Doug at WRD a couple weeks ago, he said he had been out doing a lot of testing and was going out to do more testing just after I spoke with him.

The base price was $99 and with all fees it came to $114.45.

Eric in WA

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 27, 2000 - 07:56 PM

Eric
Thanks for that
Ross

• Shane

Posted September 28, 2000 - 07:14 AM

Eric, where do you live in washington? Iam from spokane... do a lot of riding up north (colville national forest area) have you ever gone down to st maries idaho? or over to canfield? drop me a line we have about 6 guys in our group...

shane

• Shane

Posted September 28, 2000 - 07:15 AM

Eric, where do you live in washington? Iam from spokane... do a lot of riding up north (colville national forest area) have you ever gone down to st maries idaho? or over to canfield? drop me a line we have about 6 guys in our group... garcou@hotmail.com

shane

• Eric_in_WA

Posted September 28, 2000 - 10:33 AM

Shane,

I live near Vancouver WA, which is just across the Columbia River from Portland, OR.

I rarely get out to to the east side of WA. Perhaps you can give me a good reason.

Eric in WA

• BruceWA

Posted September 28, 2000 - 01:44 PM

Stealey is a Portland area based co. Met the dude once, he is an avid enthusist. If I were looking for a fly wheel weight, I'd buy his.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.