play in swing arm/connecting rod-only 450 miles on bike

4 replies to this topic
  • Kermit

Posted September 26, 2000 - 06:21 PM

I was taking off the wheel to put a new tire on. So I'm checking to see if there is any play in the swingarm. There is, it seems to be coming from the connecting rod (page 5-55 part #2 in the manual) I'm getting side to side movement where the connecting rod joins the frame and from where it joins the relay arm.Everything else is tight. Is this normal? Can the bushings and/or bearings be worn out already? The bike only has 450 miles on it!

• Hick

Posted September 27, 2000 - 07:37 AM

Kermit,

Your swingarm shouldn’t have any side to side play. The relay arm can be moved side to side a little. I’m not sure about the con rod to frame mount, but it seems to me that it some play here may be normal as well. The bolt securing it to the frame is tapered so the torque on the nut presses on the taper and does not squeeze the bearings. Unfortunately I am at work and cannot check this on my bike. I’ll check later and if you haven’t gotten a better answer I will add another post on this topic tomorrow, I could be mistaken.

These bearings need to be greased periodically, especially if you ride in wet stuff. But even if you have never done so I would be surprised if they are damaged. Since you have your wheel off already now may be a good time to do this. It is a surprisingly easy task to perform.

The lower shock bolt has a tendency to back out of the threads on the relay arm, perhaps this has happened and resulted in the looseness you are describing. All the other bolts here have locknuts on them but the shock bolt needs Loctite.

Hope this helps!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kermit

Posted September 27, 2000 - 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Hick:
Kermit,

Your swingarm shouldn’t have any side to side play. The relay arm can be moved side to side a little. I’m not sure about the con rod to frame mount, but it seems to me that it some play here may be normal as well. The bolt securing it to the frame is tapered so the torque on the nut presses on the taper and does not squeeze the bearings. Unfortunately I am at work and cannot check this on my bike. I’ll check later and if you haven’t gotten a better answer I will add another post on this topic tomorrow, I could be mistaken.

These bearings need to be greased periodically, especially if you ride in wet stuff. But even if you have never done so I would be surprised if they are damaged. Since you have your wheel off already now may be a good time to do this. It is a surprisingly easy task to perform.

The lower shock bolt has a tendency to back out of the threads on the relay arm, perhaps this has happened and resulted in the looseness you are describing. All the other bolts here have locknuts on them but the shock bolt needs Loctite.

Hope this helps!

The swing arm doesn't have ant play what so ever, just the connecting rod I am going to rip every thing apart and grease all of it. Thanks for the info Hick

• Dougie

Posted September 27, 2000 - 10:08 AM

I'm pretty sure that is normal. Mine is the same way.

• Kermit

Posted September 27, 2000 - 06:11 PM

I do think it is normal now. It was kind of scary at first. I looked at the sleeves that the bearings ride on they are about 1/8 of an inch (I'm guessing here) longer than the arms they slide into...I'm guessing to keep the suspension from binding as it goes though its travel. I tore every thing down to grease it, glad I did there was a tiny bit of water droplets in there. I'm going to take it in tomorrow to get it inspected for the street, wish me luck!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.