Has anyone assembled their own dual sport kit for the 650R

8 replies to this topic
  • ThunderChicken

Posted June 27, 2007 - 08:17 AM

I keep running into the same wall when I think about putting a dual sport kit on my 650R... the price.

I also don't like the fact that most of the kits have all the wiring in the headlight housing. This is cool if you want something that is easy on easy off but it doesn't give you a lot of options if you want to use different types of headlights.

I can get OEM Honda parts at cost and I'm starting to wonder if I can get pieces from the 650L like the switches and front blinkers, etc. and get the rest off of ebay.

I have the stock wiring harness in tact and I have a rewond stator.

Has anyone assembled their own DS kit for the R? Another reason why I don't want to take the plunge on a $500 BD kit is because there's no garuntee that I will get a plate.

• cleonard

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:08 AM

If you buy the parts new the cost will add up to close to $500. If you are willing to make use of old stuff from ebay or a donor bike you can get the price down some.

• BWB63

Posted June 27, 2007 - 11:05 AM

I have built three and the total price for each with blinkers, rectifier, signal relay, big capacitor close to the signal relay (instead of battery), wire, Acerbis head light and LED tail light, conecters and cheap healight/blinker/kill switch (from Four strokes Only, it was a piece of junk) was a $237 with tax. I converted the Acerbis head light to have a 65/55 watt high/low beam H4 light. I used 8 AA battiers to pass the California DMV inspection with the horn off my XR400 Baja kit. Both were removed once I passed and got my plate. The Baja Kit uses 8 AA Nicad battiers in series for the battery. Radio Shack sells holders that you can do the samething with. If you are getting an inspection everything must work with the engine off. You never start the bike for the inspection.

Radio Shack has the full wave 25 amp rectifier for just a few $$
The capacitor was harder to get 500 farad at 16volts it is about 4" long and 1.5" round and it cost $5 from Mac's Electronic's Down the street from Chaparral Motorsports on E st.
Hear is a picture of one of the finished setups, with no horn:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pictuer of the rectifier without wires hooked up to it. Bottom of picture.
Posted Image

I don't have pictures of the switch on the bar. This is not including the stator rewind.

• Coolidge

Posted June 27, 2007 - 04:05 PM

I wound up getting a BD kit on Epay for 250.00 + shipping. BUT...it was for XR400. I made it work fine. It is the older kit w/o LED. Also no FET, or main pwr on/off switch. Otherwise, its a good kit. Blinkers blink, horn honks, all light work as they should. Stock stator seems to be OK as well. Got a couple of cheapo mirrors (Epay) for 9.98/pr+ship that worked out well. I STILL was denied plates from DMV. When I get the nec. emission sticker, I will go back for inspection/plates. Good Luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dezracerE

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:03 PM

If you're bike is not converted now- I would not bother. You may have a tough time with DMV in Cali. See the threads in the dual sport section.
My bike was converted already and I now use an AC system with no battery and the stock head and tllight. Cheap and easy. (hope I never get pulled over).

• ThunderChicken

Posted June 28, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go try and find a clean XR600R with a plate. I really don't want to go to all the trouble to put a kit on my 650R and get denied by the DMV.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

• cleonard

Posted June 28, 2007 - 10:41 AM

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go try and find a clean XR600R with a plate. I really don't want to go to all the trouble to put a kit on my 650R and get denied by the DMV.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

You might find it hard to go "back" to a XR600. While I never owned one, I have put about 1000 miles on a 650R a few years ago. My 600 seemed underpowered and poorly suspended in comparision.

Keep an eye on Craigslist and the other usual places and you will occasionally see a legally plated 650R. The price is high, but they are around.

• ThunderChicken

Posted June 28, 2007 - 01:37 PM

You might find it hard to go "back" to a XR600. While I never owned one, I have put about 1000 miles on a 650R a few years ago. My 600 seemed underpowered and poorly suspended in comparision.

Keep an eye on Craigslist and the other usual places and you will occasionally see a legally plated 650R. The price is high, but they are around.

Yeah, I'm certainly keeping my expectations in check. I basically want a dual sported XR that I can ride back and forth to work on and also particpate in some of the D37 dual sport rides (for example, I missed the Big Bear Run). I live at the base of the San Berdo Mtns. and I can make two rights and a left from my driveway and be in the middle of San Tim Canyon/Badlands.

So far as an adult I've owned a XR400R, CRF450X, 2 XR650Rs, and one XR650L. I currently have a 650R and a 250X that aren't going anywhere so the 600R would purely be my DS sled.

I've more or less missed out on owning a 600R so I figured having one in the role of a DS machine would be a good way to have a place in the stable for the bike.

Plus, I'm finding legit-plated 600Rs in the $2k-$2,500 range. That puts it in the category of buying it without having to go to the "spending oversight committe" i.e. Mrs. Chicken. Whereas, most of the cleaner, legit-plated 650Rs I'm seeing on the market are between $3500 and $4500. ...granted, those prices are a little inflated nowadays considering the new street legal open class offerings from KTM and Husky.

• BWB63

Posted June 29, 2007 - 08:08 AM

I have to live within five miles of you........and we have never ridden together??? That is most bizzar. I live in Cherry Valley, up near Orchard and Nancy. We should hook up some time and I could show you what I have done or you can barrow my plate for your bike if needed for a dual sport ride to look legal once you get some sort of setup.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.