cracking throttle valve plate!

11 replies to this topic
  • Henry

Posted September 24, 2000 - 08:48 PM

Hey guys, I need your advice again.
I have change my throttle valve plate twice this year!( will be changing again soon, hair-line crack is observed) :)
this is common on 98WR400F.
Anyone with the 98 has the same problem? I'm getting tired of checking the valve plate.
this make the bike unreliable when I'm going for a long trail, wondering when it will exploded and left me hanging in the wilderness.(beside tis carby problem, everything is tough)this problem has been getting on my nerves.
Please HELP!!!

------------------
'98 WR400F, YZ timed, main:180, pilot:48, DVR needle 4th clip from top,
snorkel removed, YZ tank/seat combo, YZ front no.plate/rear fender,
DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake,steel braided hose, EZ clutch adjust perch,
Stroker billet rear brake reservoir

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 25, 2000 - 12:09 AM

Henry, old mate, I too have a 98 WR and regulary check the plate after seeing the picture posted on this site.Mine is still original & looking good. Your right though, it sits in the back of your mind whenever you go on a big ride. We just rode 1100km in the Big Desert & a 2000 WR lost fifth gear. Thats the third one I've personally saw happen in 1 month. Is there a problem with
5th gear.Regards;AMTRA, Australia.

• Henry

Posted September 25, 2000 - 01:11 AM

Hi AMTRA, I don't think there is reported problem on the fifth gear thingy.
In fact there are report of missing fouth gear, sometime you feel you
have engage into neutral.
But don't think there are any major problem lies with the 2000 model.
but 98 throttle valve slide problem still exist.
How long has the bike been with you?
:)

------------------
DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake,steel braided hose, EZ clutch adjust perch,

• Henry

Posted September 26, 2000 - 04:16 PM

Hi guys, seem that no one are able to help me with this.
Guess I have to spend $150+ every few month just for that little piece of metal. :)

------------------

• Damian

Posted September 26, 2000 - 10:07 PM

My first throttle plate was swallowed by the engine at 5200km.
I have just checked the replacement after 1000km (600 miles)at it has already started cracking.
I'm pissed off.
Yamaha Austarlia were no help at all (sorry, its out of warranty)
Well, sorry Mr Yamaha, its the last of your bikes I'm going to buy.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 27, 2000 - 12:03 AM

Henry, I bought the WR new in 98. I drop the oil every 500km, and check the shims every 1000km. I'm very happy with the package I have now ( spent just a few dollars on mods, you know about boys & their toys, have cash - will spend. ). If any majors happen then I will just fix it up again.When I showed Yamaha dealer the picture from the site on the slide they said they had never heard of it happening to a WR. Typical dealer. AMTRA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • echelon5

Posted November 08, 2010 - 11:28 PM

I feel the pain and its almost a decade later on this subject. Maybe the bike you had, you sold. Then the next guy got it and was like "Holy crap, Yamaha makes a crappy bike, I will pawn this off for a Honda!" So the bike went through like 50 people who all converted to Honda over the years. Now I have the dang thing and I don't approve at all. I think I will replace the $150 throttle valve and then sell this piece of crap, add some cash to the pot in a few months and buy a decent red, yellow, or green bike. Blue had so much potential and it failed. Yamaha officially (blows) exhaust out their tailpipes! :p

• WR_Dave

Posted November 09, 2010 - 07:21 AM

Seriously...!!!! you dig up a 10 year old thread to complain about WR's on the WR forum.....:p You are correct, try another color, none of them have any problems, might I suggest a nice valve dropping 2003 Honda CRF 450. :thumbsup:

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 09, 2010 - 07:45 AM

This is a widely known problem with all bikes equipped with the 1st generation FCR. It's not a Yamaha thing though most of the 1st gen FCR's happen to be on Yammi's since they were the 1st serious 4 stroke entry. The 1st gen's were phased out over 10 years ago in 2001. The 2nd and 3rd gen FCR's have not had the issue. Find a 2nd gen FCR on Ebay and swap it out. Probably not a whole lot more cost than the slide plate. Now quit yer whining!

• echelon5

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:16 PM

Sounds like corporate negligence to me. Why would a company put a component on a bike without propper testing? Well the only Honda I had was from the 80's and it blew up since the previous owners beat the heck out of it and ran it with no oil. I don't know how to abuse a Carburetor since when I opened it up the thing was nice and clean, last guy took care of it but it broke anyways. I abuse the bageezus out of my Toyota and I can't seem to kill it. i guess some things are just built better than others. :p

• echelon5

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:18 PM

Seriously...!!!! you dig up a 10 year old thread to complain about WR's on the WR forum.....:p You are correct, try another color, none of them have any problems, might I suggest a nice valve dropping 2003 Honda CRF 450. :thumbsup:

And I did not dig this up, I searched for a related issue rather than posting a new one on the same topic. Why don't you go moderate a web site and after a few years of editing forums come back and tell me again about digging up old threads :mad:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:19 PM

Sounds like corporate negligence to me. Why would a company put a component on a bike without propper testing? Well the only Honda I had was from the 80's and it blew up since the previous owners beat the heck out of it and ran it with no oil. I don't know how to abuse a Carburetor since when I opened it up the thing was nice and clean, last guy took care of it but it broke anyways. I abuse the bageezus out of my Toyota and I can't seem to kill it. i guess some things are just built better than others. :p

It's sad that you rate a product merely by how well it takes abuse.

Every single product on the face of the earth breaks.

If you don't do the work, the research and then maintain it, you get what you deserve.

Just don't complain to us when something doesn't 'stand up to abuse' they way you think it should.

Damn this kind of whining makes me mad.

Go look up the term CAVEAT EMPTOR in Wikipedia.

It defines the free market economy. Put the reasonable burden on both the consumer and the manufacture.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.